Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Red Oak versus White Oak
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:42 am 
New User

Ok - being no one else is posting yet, I have to keep Ken busy and I dont think this issue was ever addressed on the previous board.

I moved into a new construction home about a year and a half ago. Hardwood flooring was site installed everywhere in the 1st floor except the living room. I am now looking to finish that part by myslef.

I have always assumed it was Red Oak. However, the builder is certain its White Oak, as thats what they use. I am concerned if I indeed put in White Oak (as he says) it will look odd, as my current floor has many boards with a pinkish/amber hue to the them, while others look like White Oak, while yet others look like Red Oak :shock: :shock: .

So I am in a quandy. White Oak is what I plan to buy, but I am not sold that it aint Red Oak. It is just a natural finsih with 4 coats of waterpoly.

Is it possible that the white oak has ambered a bit (even with water poly)? Is there really much difference between Red/White Oak? Any way to tell for certain??

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:21 pm 
White Oak will have pink or an orange huge.

I say you have white oak as the existing installation.

Perry Wright
Austin, Texas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:31 pm 
Valued Contributor

They sell a chemical test to determine that. I bet Ken knows who makes it.

Color is not a good indicator of species. Good white oak will be pink sometimes. Good red oak always is. The best way to tell is by cutting a slice off of the wood. You can see through the vessels in red,but not in white. I think that is why white scores a little higher on the janka scale.

I found the product. I think it costs around 20 bucks retail. Here is a link to it.

http://woodwise.com/tools/whiteoak-info.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:40 am 
New User

Thanks for all the help guys!

I had not one, but two flooring guys come out to estimate a cost (at the same time, I had them identify the floor).

Both seemed a bit unsure, as they said more times than not, depending on the lot/batch, white oak and red oak can be undistinguishable from each other. Given the look of my floor, the consensus was that if it was indeed White Oak, it was a very pinkish batch and thus, I would be wise to go with a Red Oak, as is more likely to match.

So, thanks again. Hopefully I am not on here too much when I actually install it :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:51 pm 
Prized Contributor

Red Oak:
Heartwood and sapwood are similar, with sapwood lighter in color; most pieces have a reddish tone. Slightly redder than white oak.
Grain: Open, slightly coarser meaning more porous than white oak. Plainsawn boards have a plumed or flared grain appearance: riftsawn has a tighter grain pattern.Quartersawn has a flake pattern, called tiger rays or butterflies.

White Oak:
Heartwood is a light brown; some boards may have a pinkish tint or a slightly gray cast. Sapwood is white to a cream color.
Grain: Open, with longer rays than red oak. Occasional crotches, swirls and burls. Plainsawn boards have a plumed or flared grain appearance; riftswan has a tighter grain pattern; quartersawn has a flake pattern, called tigerrays or butterflies.

The only real way to tell is to look at the end cut, and look at the vessels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:07 am 
Valued Contributor

Did either of the guys tell you what grade they thought it was? That is a big deal. Clear white and clear red look much more alike than,say #1 red and select white. What color are you looking to go with? The darker you go,the less all of this matters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:28 am 
I thought it was #1 and both guys said the same thing, as there is a lot of character (most notably, color diffs between boards).

Figured some pics would do some good......so here is one (hopefully, it works).