Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Refinish Issues - Contractor
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:15 pm 
New User

My wife hired someone with a very good rating on Angie’s list to refinish out 8 year old wood floors. We are in the middle of round 2 because of issues with the job.

1. I can see the brush marks in the finish standing on the stairs that are 10-12 feet above the flooring. This was a problem with the first round as well. I assume the brush is to stiff for the application.

2. There finish itself has surface “blobs” and appears to have trapped dirt/dust under the finish. (See picture).

3. There appears to be scallops in the wood. I assume this is from chatter in the sander. You can see it as the sun reflects off the floor....it creates illusion of high/low points. (See picture).

I would welcome anyone’s thoughts. The owner keeps asking if I know the difference between a floor and table. Table smooth, floor...you walk on.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Refinish Issues - Contractor
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:36 am 
Prized Contributor

Of course you will not be crawling around on hands and knees evaluating the surface! Look at the floor from a standing position with no light reflecting off the surface.
You certainly do want a smooth floor. A smooth floor will be easy to clean and the finish will wear more evenly. Sometimes, straining the finish and tacking the floor twice will prevent all kinds of problems. A stiff bristle brush will help spread the finish around.
A draft will prevent the finish from flowing like it should. A coat of finish with the recommended coverage should flow without brush marks.
Another coat of finish may do the trick. You could volunteer to pay for the finish for the extra coat.

Profile E-mail