Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: refinished a prefinished floor and now a problem
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:01 am 
New User

We sanded and refinished a micro beveled prefinished american cherry floor. We sanded it down so there is no bevel and that went well. The problem is that after we applied the finish all the butt joints appear to be stained as they are all darker than all the other areas. It also looks like something bled in from the ends. I was wondering if anyone has seen this and if so is there a way to fix it? Thankyou

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:01 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

I have seen this phenomena before. But honestly, I am not sure what causes it or what can be done. Consider posting your question on Bill Price's Floormasters forum. http://www.floormasters.com/community/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:03 pm 
Prized Contributor

Didnt I just see this question in a different area? :lol:
Not to worry too much about it, this is oxidation of the wood caused by UV
As time passes, the freshly exposed new wood on the surface will do the same and blend in with the butt joints.

Post subject: prefinished,refinishing problem
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:10 pm 
New User

Yes It was on another forum till I realized there was this "Yikes I have Problems!" forum. Anyway thankyou for the answer, that is what we have heard from other floormen. It is just that the people are trying to sell the home, so I thought that there might be a "instant" solution or at least a quicker one. Also thankyou for the other website, we will also look there. Thankyou again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:59 am 
Prized Contributor

Well, you could try flooding the place with UV lamps, would speed up the process somewhat.
When I have a client that is sceptical about about how UV can affect wood, I send them off to their Sport club with a piece half covered with cardboard, and tell them to spend some time with it in a tanning bed.
They invariably come back with a sheepish look on their face with a two toned board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:28 pm 
New User

Thanks again . I had another fellow tell me the same thing. But for now we are going to stain it. We tested some different colors and came up with one that they think they will like. We are going to water pop the wood and than use Duraseal Sedona Red with Duraseal Natural one to one and hopefully it will look better over all. We told them that once we do it , it will be final.. Thanks again