Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Refinishing Advice Req'd
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:51 pm 
New User

This site has been a great help to me for the past month... I just completed a 700 sq ft install of 3 1/4 x 3/4 prefinished espesso stained hardwood in my townhouse... I did not realize how much work it is... Between working at night at my regular job and doing the floors by day it took me about a 11 days... It does look really nice and the wife loves it...

It would of been shorter but the guy that was to install it and me (helper) bailed and I did not here from him until a week later... So I did it myself..

Now for my question...

I currently have 200 sq ft of natural oak 2 1/4" x 3/4" oak pre finished flooring that I believe has an aluminum oxide finish on the main floor... The floor is about 5 yers old and it is in good shape... I want to remove the finish and stain to match the Espresso finish of the newlty installed hardwood....

I currently have the stain and am going to refinish with a waterbased satin varathane...

What grades of sandpaper will I require to do the sanding and what type of sander?

How long does this normally take to do?

Any triks or tips to make this easier?

Also what is the easiest way to remove the finish between the bevels of the planks?

Thanks...

Brian.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:12 am 
Prized Contributor

Best thing imo is to try to sand the bevel out if its possible without hitting the nails. You will have to get all the finish off for the floor to take stain. Getting that expresso color is going to take proper prep and any machine marks will pop out at you with a dark stain. Really not a job for the inexperinced, no offense.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:27 pm 
New User

Taking your advice and will have a professional do it...