Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Refinishing Bruce Hardwood 3/4" x 2 1/4" Natural
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:15 pm 
New User

I have approximately 1200 square feet of this stuff on my first floor of my 6 year old home. We like the integrity of the floor but would someday like to have a darker finish, i.e cherry or walnut color.

Has any body ever refinished this floor to a darker finish?

Would the microbevel be sanded out to a point where it is almost gone? If not would the microbevel have to be scraped out? I don't think the color of the microbevel would be an issue because it naturally darkens as it collects dirt.

I once read that only 5 or 6 years ago the industry started to add aluminum oxide to the finish, hopefully my hardwood was maufactured prior to that, if not is the presence of aluminum oxide that much of an obstacle?

Does the $3 per square foot refinishing price include stripping and staining?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:05 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

You're right, you may not need those microbevels scraped but you should be aware that some maybe sanded out and some may be still there. I've refinished Bruce 3/4"x2&1/4" prefinished before. Always turned out fine for me and bevels weren't an issue. If your floor has aluminum oxide, it can still be sanded but it takes more time and sandpaper. As to price, there isn't a set price for refinishing. Whomever you hire, go over all the details first, ask for references and go look at some of their work. Always keep in mind, you get what you pay for. Hire the cheapest guy in town and he'll most likely cut corners or use $8.00 per hour laborers. Either way, it will show in the work.