Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Refinishing Flooring in a house with mice
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:01 pm 
New User

Hi,

I posted earlier for some help with what to do and technique... My project is moving along and I'll be doing the Basic Coatings Tykote process later this week.

The house is an old farmhouse surrounded on 3 sides by a bean field this year. Mice happen. I've had exterminators out and they seem to actually leave the house when there are tenants, but with the house empty except for me 10-12 hours a week, they have left their evidence on the floor, I've noticed as I'm on my hands and knees working on it.

Luckily it seems the Basic Coatings process is fast. It seems like a 3-4 hour period when mice could damage, and again the next day. (Maybe fewer hours of potential damage since they are just tiny mice.) I'm thinking I'll bring a radio and play it loudly. Any other tricks of the trade?

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Refinishing Flooring in a house with mice
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:13 pm 
Prized Contributor

Find where they are entering the house. They may be coming in under doors, through plumbing entrances, or even from the roof, if trees are touching. Trap them for your health. Vermin should live outdoors. Your county may have a department that will help you control the pests.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Refinishing Flooring in a house with mice
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:12 am 
Worthy Contributor

They make a device that emits a high frequency sound to drive pests away - I would try one of these while it cures. I'm from rural Canada so I'm well aware how hard it can be to shut them out completely. The sonic devices don't work forever, but the first time you turn it on, you'll probably get a good day or two of peace.

Profile E-mail