Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Refinishing nightmare
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:55 am 
New User

I am having the hardwood floors sanded and refinished throughout the entire house. I have recieved 5 estimates and thought that I chose the right professional. It has been a disaster since. I was told that all the nail and staple holes would be filled and un-noticeable. They are all noticeable and black. Then the story changed and was told that this is normal because the nails and staples rust and stain the wood. Then they were suppose to use BONA MEGA and I showed up yesterday and they used a product called PRO FINISHER by parks. He said that it was a compatible product? All this not to mention it has taken over a week to finish and the baseboards are all scratched and chipped from the edger! Is this all normal when floors are refinished???
Thank You

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:51 am 
Prized Contributor

Nope, it is not normal for me.

Sounds like a typical bait & switch tactic.

Post subject: It could be normal
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:32 pm 
New User

Yeah some times your baseboard will get scratched and your paint may chip a little, all that should have been mentioned to you from the begining. As for the nail hole, also very possible, when nails get wet they rust very quickly which will stain your floor and can not sand out (usually). But the boards should have been replace or pending on size of stain should have been punched and color filled. i'm not sure the size of the sq ft of the refinish, but a whole house in a week doesn't sound bad.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:47 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I guess in my opinion depending on the extent of the black holes that kind of stuff gives character to a floor. For instance if i'm sanding a floor and there are wormholes i like to leave them because that shows character. however if there are black spots that are every few inches from carpet pad staples i usually fill and resand. even at that point you can still pick up on them with a keen eye. I always talk about expectations with my customers before I ever start a job. With wood being a natural product there's some stuff you can deal with others you can't.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:48 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I guess in my opinion depending on the extent of the black holes that kind of stuff gives character to a floor. For instance if i'm sanding a floor and there are wormholes i like to leave them because that shows character. however if there are black spots that are every few inches from carpet pad staples i usually fill and resand. even at that point you can still pick up on them with a keen eye. I always talk about expectations with my customers before I ever start a job. With wood being a natural product there's some stuff you can deal with others you can't.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:16 pm 
New User

Thanks to all that replied. The job was only about 880sq.ft. I didn't allow the contractor to finish after I showed up and saw all the chatter marks in the floor that he was putting the finish coat on. He had finish splattered half way up my walls and he was also using a different product than we agreed on. Thanks again.

Profile E-mail