Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Refinishing oak (?) floor, need suggestions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:34 pm 
New User

My wife and I are buying small two story house that's drowning in original '68 green carpet, but it looks to have some nice, classic oak (I think?) underneath, as evidenced by following image.

So, here's the question...what is the best, most durable way we could refinish this floor? I would like it to be as light a color as possible. Other than that, all I care about is durability. Will spend as much as we need for the right product.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Refinishing oak (?) floor, need suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:11 am 
Valued Contributor

The strongest finish I have come across is moisture cure urethane.It has the color of oil (mostly) That being said , I wont touch the stuff. It's very,very nasty stuff and can be dangerous to work with.

Since you mentioned durable and light in color, my first recommendation is to use a good water based urethane like Basic Coating's Street Shoe or Bonakemi's Traffic. Also, if you use a good water based sealer as a first coat , the floor will be lighter still as opposed to using an oil based sealer or shellac like Zinnser Seal Coat.

Having worked for many years with both Street Shoe and Traffic, I can say that Traffic is definitely the harder and more durable of the two. I say that because if you make a mistake and need to touch up, the traffic takes significantly more hand work simply because it is harder .

So for a lightly colored and super durable floor, I mostly recommend using Bonakemi's DTS for a 1st coat. When it dries, buff it thoroughly with a 220 grit screen, vacuum and tack clean. Then put on two coats of Bona Traffic and you will have a great looking and tough floor. Street Shoe would be a good second choice.

Also, when you choose a contractor , ask him how he will apply the finish and how much finish goes on the floor with each coat (spread rate) . I use a blue stripe roller and spread Bona Traffic at 400 feet per gallon which is a very heavy coat.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:18 am 
New User

Ok, sold...now how do I get you out to western New York? :lol: I know, it's a little much as far as a commute...

Really though, thanks for the advice. I'm praying that we can find a good contractor...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:28 am 
Valued Contributor

I've worked all over New England , Manhattan, Philadelphia ,Nantucket Island. But what you are asking for should be totally achievable with one of your local contractors.When you interview contractors , let them know you expect to see :

-no drum marks
-no edger digs
-no edger swirls
-buffing between each application of finish.

if they shrink back at any of that, they are likely a mediocre contractor

Profile E-mail