Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Refinishing old slightly damaged hardwood floors
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:34 am 
New User

I have recently ripped up the carpet in the second story of my home to find hardwood floors in fair condition. I am planning to do a full refinishing on them and had a couple questions. Other than quite afew white haze spots in the finish, some black scraps and some paint drops which I think should come out with the sanding I have a few dark spots on the floor from water damage. I was wondering if this will come out when i sand down the entire floor or will something else have to be done? And if so what? Will oxalic acid crystals work to take it out? Also at what point during the process should the black stain try to be removed? Thank you for any help you can offer.

Colin :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:45 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Some have claimed success with different mixtures of acids, bleaches and such. I personally have never had any luck with them and as a pro, most often choose to cut out damaged or badly stained boards and replace them. If new flooring will not match, you can sometimes pull some boards from a closet somewhere and use those. But no harm in trying to bleach out those stains. Just try to keep the solution contained to the damaged area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:53 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Hi Colin,

I found red oak strip floors in an old house under about five different carpets and linoleum. There were a lot of stained areas. The wood outside the bathroom door was badly pee stained as if some kid had a habit of going right there when the bathroom was occupied. I was able to remove all the stains when I sanded and refinished. Unfortunately, I did this in 1992 and I don't remember the procedure or chemicals I used. I apologize for the lack of good information but I just wanted to tell you that it is indeed possible to clean them up.

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:13 am 
New User

Thank you gentlemen for your input. It is much appreciated.

Colin