Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Refinishing Old Wood Floors & Insulation?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:32 pm 
New User

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/75801484@N07/

I will be refinishing oak floors in an old ranch house. I've just ripped out the carpet that was on top. Unfortunately, the wood is not in the best shape due to the previous tenant. She had multiple animals and they urinated everywhere. When she was moving out, she dumped vinegar all over the carpet in attempt to hide her mess. When I pulled up the carpet & padding, some of the padding stayed behind (see pictures). How can I get this off? Sanding? After I sand it, I'm hoping to stain it so that all the wood will be the same color. You can see-damaged parts aside-that the wood is darker in some areas than others. I'll be going with a darker look hoping to blend it. Any tips or advice for the process? What kind of sander to use, grits, stains, sealers, etc?... I'm new to this.

Also, there is a crawl space below, and there is no insulation. Any recommendations or advice on how to go about insulating the floor? I live in Arizona, so it stays pretty dry here, but it gets cold enough that I feel insulation is necessary.

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Refinishing Old Wood Floors & Insulation?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:03 pm 
Valued Contributor

Sorry to say but I think that floor is beyond fixing. I would either rip it up or put carpeting back down.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Refinishing Old Wood Floors & Insulation?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:24 pm 
New User

jeff burstein wrote:
Sorry to say but I think that floor is beyond fixing. I would either rip it up or put carpeting back down.

Hmm :(

Profile E-mail