Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Refinishing questions for our new home
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:13 pm 
New User

Hi everyone

My wife and I are moving into a new home soon, and I want to refinish the hardwood floors, and apply a darker stain. This is in a 1950s home in San Francisco.

I've received multiple quotes, and they are pricey, averaging $2,000 for the 550 ft² space on one level, and $2,000 for 13 stairs, for a total of $4k.

We asked one of the professionals about cheaper options for the stairs, such as only staining them, but he advised against it, saying it won't look good.

I'm now considering options for what I can do by myself for just the steps and have the main floor done professionally. I'm moderately handy, and might be able to borrow an electric sander.

The condition of the stairs is actually pretty good, we just need to make sure the stain matches the main level. In other words, if I did the stairs myself, and did a method that isn't as complex as a professional, I would still want the stairs to match the stain in the rest of the home.

Any advice on my options would be greatly appreciated.

I also have some photos but don't see an upload option here. I'll see if I can find somewhere to host them.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Refinishing questions for our new home
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:25 pm 
New User

Photos here:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/140590541@N06/Zb9fJ5

- Close up of stairs
- Main level
- Stairs

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:47 pm 
Prized Contributor

If you want the wood on the stairs stained darker you will need to strip the finish off. Then the wood will accept more color. You could use a stain on top of the existing finish, but this will make it harder to match when the floors are sanded.
Try a Zar stain over the existing finish after you have roughened up the finish on the steps by hand using 120 grit sand paper. After you get the right color, which may require mixing different colors together to make a stain recipe, you will need to protect the color with several coats of water-based finish. Follow directions that come with the product.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:10 am 
Prized Contributor

The wood on the steps will not accept stain unless you strip the finish.
You could try coating over the finish that is there with a stain and then finish over that. Zar makes a stain that you might like. Prep the steps by hand sanding with 120 grit sandpaper. Vacuum and tack then apply an even coat of the stain. When dry protect the color with 2 coats of water-base finish.
This may give you a color that you like, but will be hard for the floor mechanic to match when he finishes the floors.
You will want to remove the existing runner while you do the work on the steps and put it back after the finishing is complete.

Profile E-mail