Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Refinishing stairs - Potential issues
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:41 pm 
New User

Hello, I'm having a contractor refinish my stairs as well as install new a new post and rail.

The stair risers were previously painted so paint had to be taken off. Under the paint was stained which had to be stripped off. I don't know the types of woods. The contractor is planing on doing a second and third coat of polyurethane oil stain tomorrow.

After one stain, everything looks like this: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rSM5dEcGjy8d75r37

I have a few questions:
1) Overall, how does it look. I feel like there are some apparent issues.
2) I see some light areas (circled in pictures). Looks like uneven sanding. Will this get better with the 2nd and 3rd coats?
3) There are some weird reddish splotches (see arrows in photos). What are these? Will they get better with additional coats? How do we remove them or are they to be expected?

Thank you!

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Refinishing stairs - Potential issues
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:38 am 
Prized Contributor

Did the steps have carpet previously? A few details could be worked on, like the paint in the grain on the ends. It is better to get this off during the staining process with a sharp scraper, but it ought to be taken care of before the final coat of finish. Sometimes a little putty can hide a blemish.
The darker areas could be from bruises made by being bumped with something heavy.
Touch-up with stain can happen, but the stain would need to dry before coating with poly. A magic marker or colored pencil would have made a big difference before the first coat of finish was applied. Now, not so much. A little bit of extra time would make a difference.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:34 pm 
New User

That's helpful. Thanks.

What are everyone's thoughts on the screw holes on top of the rail? https://photos.app.goo.gl/NJD39cdKSjmbeHJi9

Should this have been done differently? Should it be covered up better? It really jumps out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:35 pm 
New User

Also, Pete, is the job decent enough or should I pay someone else to come fix things? I don't know if my expectations are inline with how good everything can actually look. Thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:18 am 
Prized Contributor

The dots on the handrail can be touched up with colored pencil, if you use the right color, or felt tip pen. The touch up again after the first coat, if necessary.
You may need to hire an artist to get the right look. Acrylic paint can be used. A final coat of finish will help to blend the color and make the right gloss level.

Profile E-mail