Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Refinishing Stairs
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:55 am 
New User

I have completed the installation of prefinished hardwood throughout the first floor of my home and, with the help of the generous pros who contribute here, the job went well and looks terrific. Now I need to refinish the stairs. The sanding, scraping and staining parts of the job I have no problem with; it's the choice of finishing material that has me stumped. Since all the bedrooms are upstairs and the house is occupied, I'd like to find a finishing system that would permit at least stocking foot traffic in a reasonable time. I thought of using either shellac or brushing lacquer, but the solvent vapor and accompanying risk of fire made me think twice about that option. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Refinishing Stairs
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:39 pm 
Prized Contributor

What color are you after. Are you going to match your pre-finished flooring?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:33 am 
New User

I will be coming close to the appearance of the prefinished flooring which is a light “natural” look. Minwax “pecan” stain is a near perfect match with a clear topcoat. That’s what I used for some trim pieces.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:26 pm 
Prized Contributor

You can use the stain that you used for the floor, too. Stain the steps and wait at least a day for the stain to harden. You can walk on the stain after an hour or so because you already wiped off the extra stain when you applied it.
the paint thinner dries quickly, but the oil needs to harden and it takes time. Buff the stain with substitute steel wool and vacuum well before your first coat of finish. Water-based poly will dry quickly and is walkable with stocking feet after a couple of hours. Follow the directions on the can applying at least three coats.

Profile E-mail