Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Regretting hardwood floor refinish job, major issues!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:05 am 
New User

/file:///Users/pr/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Masters/2016/02/07/20160207-020734/IMG_5079.JPG
I recently had my hardwood floors restained a much darker color. I like the color and the finish, but I'm looking at the details of this job and cannot I believe I paid for this! I'm trying to decide if I have unreal expectations, or if these issues justify him coming back to resand/ etc....and concerned that fixing these issues is even possible! Any suggestions, input, etc is greatly appreciated. First issue, there are many marks on the floor where it looks like he was too aggressive with the orbital sander. Second issue, there are at least a dozen areas where it looks as if he turned on the belt sander and left it in one spot, so there are divots in the floor. Third, there are two areas where the color is inconsistent (light/ dark patch.) And last, there are several (3 or 4) areas that are quite rough...either air bubbles or improper cleanup after sanding (and some spots where I see strands of hair trapped in the finish.) What is a realistic expectation for a refinish/ restain and what should I insist he fix?? This is an area of about 600 sq feet. Should I be concerned this will be an issue if I am trying to sell my house?! Thanks very much. I have pictures but cannot figure out how to post them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Regretting hardwood floor refinish job, major issues!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:10 pm 
Prized Contributor

Drum marks where the drum sander has hesitated when sanding are marks of a non-professional, or novice that has not had training.
Even a pro can have a drum mark, but the operator should know how to remove the drum marks before the stain is applied. A dark stain really shows the skill of the operator. You have other problems that usually only show up with a stain.
Different color shades are the result of uneven sanding where the stain gets darker with a more coarsely prepared surface. Hair in the final coat is not uncommon and should be easy to fix.
Calling the person back to re-do your job will be a job where the operator is practicing to refine their technique. You may be better off hiring someone else.
Having hardwood floors in your house is a great selling point. Oftentimes the new owner will want to pay someone to sand the floors to have another color even if the floor looks pretty good, so the new color will go with their furniture.
Sorry you had problems with your floor finisher.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Regretting hardwood floor refinish job, major issues!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:39 pm 
New User

Oh, man hollerusc, I am so right there with you. I don't have any helpful advice, but I can say that I don't believe your expectations to be too high.

Here are some pictures of what I am not-so-lovingly referring to as "My Nightmare Floor" at the moment for comparison's sake. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

In my case, the contractor has been very responsive, kind, and easy to get along with. It just breaks my heart to have to tell him the work is more than just sub-par =(.

Hang in there, stay firm but be polite. Do demand they fix it or you will kick yourself forever. Good luck and keep us posted.

Profile E-mail