Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Removing footprints?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:15 am 
New User

Okay guys, I need help. I just finished sanding about 700 sq ft of Brazilian Cherry hardwood floors and the owner wanted it stained. So once I stained the floor, I seen a few foot prints in the stain. Is it possible to fix these areas before I apply the polyurethane? Due to the winter weather, the shoes were wet but before I walked around the floors, I always stepped on dry towels and making sure they were wet anymore before proceeding into the house. Thanks for the help.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Removing footprints?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:50 am 
Worthy Contributor

Brazilian cherry is one of the hardest woods out there, according to the Janka scale. I'm surprised you were asked to stain it--from what I remember, it's a tight, dense wood. It's harder than maple, and I know I would water-pop maple if I were going to try to stain it.

On oak, I scrape out footprints or edger marks, and then hand-sand with whatever grit screen or disc that I used for the last cut. It blends fine, even with clear water-based finishes that don't hide anything. With oil, it's a slam-dunk to blend it. Oil poly will mask any color splotchiness.

With Brazilian cherry, AND a stain, it might be tricker to get the spot scraping to blend in. I'd try scraping in a closet first, to see how well this technique is going to work. But basically, you can scrape out the footprints, and do the hand-sanding. If you water-treated it, you should do the same for the scraped areas.

Profile E-mail