Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Removing glue from carpet pad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:04 pm 
New User

I have removed carpet from my hardwood floors. The pad is stuck to the floor, especially in heavy traffic areas. The "glue" appears to be an orange looking "wax". It comes up with lots of scraping, but I need an easier way. I was told the carpet was put down in the early 50s, shortly after the hardwood flooring was installed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:30 pm 
New User

I have the same issue, have you recieved any ideas on how to remove?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:03 pm 
New User

Yours is the first reply. It is actually my neighbor removing the "glue", but she says that if it is warm, it comes up easily. I will check back with her as I know she has tried various methods.
Hosea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:08 pm 
New User

Thanks any info you can get would be most helpful :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:19 pm 
Valued Contributor

A buffer with a wire brush attachment will do it pretty well. Good luck finding that plate, though. Mine is the only one I have ever seen.

I bet odorless mineral spirits would work great.

Post subject: Removing glue from carpet.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:41 pm 
New User

Sorry I was so long in getting back to this topic. My neighbor was successful in getting most of the “glue” up, mainly by scraping, especially as the room heat and humidity rose. Since there was a paper cover on top of the glue, we both think that perhaps the type of pad used was placed upside down. At any rate, over time, especially in high traffic areas, the pad dissolved into a red sticky glue like material resembling tree rosin.
This is how we got up most of it after trying even a toxic glue remover from Home Depot that partially worked:
The best solution was Zip Strip directly on the floor, covered with plastic (4’ x 3’), and using a long handled paint roller on top of the plastic, I spread the Zip Strip through the plastic, and let it work for about ten minutes. I then put more Zip Strip on a different area, moved the plastic on top of that, and used the paint roller to spread the remover. While waiting for that process to work, I used a square nosed short handle shovel to scrap up the area I removed the plastic from.
After the whole floor was done, I pour mineral spirits directly on sections and used a small scraper to get up more of the “glue”. I used a four disc orbital floor sander and heavy weight sandpaper #20 to go over the floor. Then I worked up to finally #100 paper. The sanding discs still wanted to clog due to some glue that was still on the floor. We turned on the whole house fan to give us plenty of ventilation. The floor is now stained and ready for three coats of acrylic on Monday.
I hope this helps. I wondered if you had made any discoveries.