Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Removing single board
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:05 pm 
Newbie Contributor

My flooring terminates at the tile of the bathroom and one of the boards is shorter than the surrounding boards. This is a issue due to I will be filling the void with caulking that matches the grout of the tile.

I have been reading the other posts regarding removing a single board but I want to make sure before I do this that all issues have been covered completely.

Step 1. Cut two lines,with circular saw set to depth of flooring, about 1" from the outer edges of the board to be removed. Would a Roto Zip work better than the circular saw in this situation?

Step 2. Remove section of board between the two cuts. Remove two remaining strips of the board. What is the best method to remove the staples in the board?

Step 3. Cut new board to desired length.

Step 4. Cut groove off the underside of the board on the long and short ends of the board.

Step 5. Put glue in the groove area of the board attached to the floor. Put glue on to of the tongue of the opposite board attached to the floor. Put glue on the tongue of the short end of the board.

Step 6. Insert new board into place.

Step 7. Place object on top of board to hold into place until the glue dries.

If I missed any step or if you have suggestions please let me know!

Post subject: Removing single board
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:48 am 
New User

From your posting, it looks like you have the bases covered. As far as step one, I would use the circular saw. You will also probably need a good wood chisel to cut away the sections of the old board that the circular saw won't reach. Use a good construction adhesive for the glue down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:43 pm 
New User

if you know which way the tongue is facing you cut close enough to the edge of the bord which will also cut through the staples or cleats. you can also cut diagnaly across the board connecting the two cuts which will allow you to pull the pieces out easier. If done right you can replace a board in about 2 minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:29 am 
Newbie Contributor

floorpro21 wrote:
if you know which way the tongue is facing you cut close enough to the edge of the bord which will also cut through the staples or cleats. you can also cut diagnaly across the board connecting the two cuts which will allow you to pull the pieces out easier. If done right you can replace a board in about 2 minutes.

When the saw blade comes in contact with the staples the saw will kick back, not a good thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:37 am 
Prized Contributor

Never had a saw kick back because of a staple. Lots of sparks and a little duller blade, but no kick back.

Use a circular saw to make the straight cuts, if you can. Then use your rotozip to make small angle cuts to the corners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:04 am 
Newbie Contributor

I had this happen on my chop saw while I was cutting up some trim, it pulled my thumb into the back support and split it open. I am very cautious not to saw thru anything metal in wood after that. I wanted to upload a picture of the board that I will be removing but I am unable to locate how to?I reduced the picture to a 4X6 JPEG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:46 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I have the board cut to length and the bottom part of the grove cut back ona angle. The tongue on the short end it about 1/16", other end of board terminates at the bathroom tile and there is room to work. I am unable to get the board to drop down into the opening. The top grove part catches on the top edge of the existing board on the floor. Do I need to cut a angle on the lower part of the top grove to allow the board to drop into place?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:31 pm 
Prized Contributor

Chamfer it with a knife. A little whittleing or better yet, go stick the board in the oven for an hour or 2 set on 250. Seriously!!! It will shrink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:47 am 
Newbie Contributor

Floorguy wrote:
Chamfer it with a knife. A little whittleing or better yet, go stick the board in the oven for an hour or 2 set on 250. Seriously!!! It will shrink.

The shrinking in a oven sounds interesting, but I trimmed the edge on my table saw. Places lots of glue and place weight on it overnight.Would the oven hurt the finish on a prefinished board?

How can I submit a picture, I do not see a option to do that? How does the "IMG" button function?

I just looked at your location, you are in Austin. I was in Austin about 15 years ago,during spring break, with a freind. I was impressed by how clean the area was! After that we went to North Padre for a week of sun and fun. :D