Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: removing stair stringer before putting down hardwood?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:16 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I have a short flight of steps (5) totally enclosed, and supported with three stringers underneath. both sides of the stairs have wall stringers. they were not an issue when the stairs were carpeted, but i don't like the idea of putting hardwood on them, as they stick 1.5" into the stairs from the walls, and one side is angled from the top of the stairs to the bottom so any trimwork would have to accomodate the slant.

I'd like to simply cut out the wall stringers, and fix/paint the walls where the stringers come off. Is there any reason this is a bad plan? The stairs are fully supported from underneath, so I can't see why the wall stringers are needed, but i am unencumbered by stair knowledge.

please school me on reasons why this is ok, or inadvisable. thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: removing stair stringer before putting down hardwood?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:20 am 
Prized Contributor

You will have problems patching the walls with the stringers removed. Go for it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:49 am 
Valued Contributor

motorthings wrote:
I have a short flight of steps (5) totally enclosed, and supported with three stringers underneath. both sides of the stairs have wall stringers. they were not an issue when the stairs were carpeted, but i don't like the idea of putting hardwood on them, as they stick 1.5" into the stairs from the walls, and one side is angled from the top of the stairs to the bottom so any trimwork would have to accomodate the slant.

I'd like to simply cut out the wall stringers, and fix/paint the walls where the stringers come off. Is there any reason this is a bad plan? The stairs are fully supported from underneath, so I can't see why the wall stringers are needed, but i am unencumbered by stair knowledge.

please school me on reasons why this is ok, or inadvisable. thanks!

Stringer or Skirt Board? Can you post a picture?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:59 am 
Newbie Contributor

here you go!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:02 pm 
Newbie Contributor

looks like skirt board is the right term.
my plan is to scribe/cut a piece of baseboard down the wall on the left (since there will be trim on the adjoining walls), but to leave the side by the glass panels flush with the wall supporting the panels.

and i do realize that i don't know exactly how far the treads will extend...hopefully to the end of the skirt boards. if they don't, i'll have some other carpentry to do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:30 pm 
Valued Contributor

motorthings wrote:
looks like skirt board is the right term.
my plan is to scribe/cut a piece of baseboard down the wall on the left (since there will be trim on the adjoining walls), but to leave the side by the glass panels flush with the wall supporting the panels.

and i do realize that i don't know exactly how far the treads will extend...hopefully to the end of the skirt boards. if they don't, i'll have some other carpentry to do.

Housed stringer and the boards are backing stringers. They are the framework for the stairs. Why not just paint or stain them and let them act like skirt boards. The stair tread ends will be better if they abutt wood rather than drywall.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:07 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Mostly because the existing skirting is 1.5" out from the wall, so it makes trimming it out complicated and ugly on both side.

Profile E-mail