Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Replacing carpet and stairs
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:13 am 
New User

Have a new build in metro-DC and opted not to have the builder install prefinished red oak on 3 levels of stairs ($1400 each) and 380 sq ft main level (living, dining, kitchen, 1/2 bath, $4100 total). Going to remove carpet/vinyl after delivery and install wood floors. Currently looking at BR-111 Tiete Chestnut 3" solid, original thought was 3/4" but I see a 5/8" that would save a bit of money. Any thoughts on those or comparable medium brown options? Was trying to stick with harder woods because of pets.

There were some Bellawood products at LL that looked nice, but some of what I read has me thinking I should avoid. Andersen seems to have some nice options too. EcoTimber bamboo got a good write-up, but I was trying to avoid the fad. Willing to pay for quality but I do have a budget. Would consider installing myself (after a class or two), but the preference is to keep enough out of material costs so I can hire a pro.

Stairs. BR-111 has the chestnut tread at $36.99/linear foot and the riser at $27.99/linear foot. Is that putting me at $200/step for 3' steps before installation? Seems high (and they are unfinished), but the tread is 1 1/16" thick. The pre-finished nose seems to be made to go with 5/16" strips or planks. What thickness is good for steps?

Thanks for any help/advice anyone can provide.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Replacing carpet and stairs
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:02 pm 
Prized Contributor

You have a great plan. Avoiding high builder upgrades first off. Yes, stay away from fads. Go with the old guard of manufacturers and stay away from the super cheap super store store. I like custom stair treads and white painted risers to save money if it were me.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:12 pm 
Prized Contributor

Find a stair guy to source those materials for you, br111 is just farming out those treads anyway and 100 bucks a tread its not going to be hard to beat with a little leg work.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:16 pm 
Valued Contributor

I used these guys for my last Brazilian Cherry treads. They were very high quality, and will custom make to your specs. Just give yourself a couple of weeks lead time.

http://www.stairsupplies.com/eng/produc ... ers/treads

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:18 pm 
Newbie Contributor

We will install pre-finished flooring that was purchased by the homeowner, but not stair material. Most homeowners don't know enough about the process to order the right material. Also, I would encourage homeowners to have hardwood stairs built from the get-go, rather than have rough stairs built and then skinned-over with hardwood. I don't see any savings there, not if it's done right.

Edited by admin: read rules about links under the rules and guidelines.

Profile E-mail