Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Replacing Zickgraf (only 1 year old)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:59 pm 
New User

Hello. In our new home we had Zickgraff Oak installed (prefinished) The boards were cracked in the center, and there was a "rippling" effect on some of the boards. They ripped out all 700q ft and replaced with an equally bad floor. Exept, this time, the boards move and there is squeaking everywhere. You can feel the boards moving under your feet. Long story short, 2 independent installers said the floor was cr**, and the install job was bad (there are boards cracked horizontally in the center noticible where it frames our carpet). My builder now needs to replace this floor again, and I'm looking for some advice. They want to install Centry Oak, I'm willing to pay any difference and go for a better floor, and now am looking at the Santos Brazilian Cherry (Fed up with this oak!). My questions..

1. Do I need tohe subfloor checked out after all this work?

2. Do I go for the Cherry over oak? (Hardwood is in kitchen, Dining, boarders carpet in living room and all hallways?

3. What are your thoughs on 5" vs. 3"

4. Is Century cr** too? Or should I agree to that.

This has been hell, and I'm hoping this time around to have a very nice floor! Hey, any leads on good installers in upstate NY?
Thanks!

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:37 pm 
Prized Contributor

1. Yes, its pretty hard for a floor to move up and down unless whats underneth the floor is also moving thus casuing squeeks.
2. Personal preference really changing species should not effect the quality of what you get there is a ton of junk imports out there as well if not more so than oak.
3. 5" will show more seasonal movement than 3" and 5 will show the effects of moisture sooner than a 3"
4. Take a look at the samples, Century sells three grades of product so know what you are getting before you commit. The Elite and builders grade product are typically good products, there Antique grade can be hit or miss sometimes which is normal for a two common product though

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:15 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Yes to everything Kevin said. If you were having problems with the flooring moving around, you could have subfloor issues and that should be checked. The biggest problem isn't the flooring, it's the installer/s. A GOOD installer isn't going to give the customer a crap floor. If the material is sub par, a good installer will tell the customer about it and ask the customer IF they want this floor laid or not. And give them their opinion of the flooring BEFORE they install it. They will check the subfloor as well to make sure it is suitable. These are some of the things a good installer will automatically do without being asked. Go with a good grade of flooring (you really do get what you pay for) and use a good installer with excellent references and your nightmares will be over.