Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Reversing direction
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:32 pm 
New User

Using a spline I can reverse direction of the installation. How do you rip-cut a spline? I am using BR111 7/16 solid hardwood and I cannot find any pre-manufactured splines from BR111. The dimension of the spline would be 3/16 x 3/8 x some length. Really appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Vincent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:06 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

When I have run across the same situation (no spline/slip tongue made for flooring product), there is only one solution. You have to make your own. I've used 5/16" solid oak strip flooring and ripped it to the depth I need. I've seen some guys just forget it and face nail bopth sides but that looks ugly and wouldn't keep the flooring aligned as well as slip tongue. It's a pain making those skinny things but ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do. Tip: When using reverse tongues, glue them into the groove of the existing flooring with yellow glue. Use a piece of scrap flooring to check that they are in straight and will allow the new direction changed flooring to engage properly. If nailing into the slip tongue (to hold down backside of flooring plank), use the scrap piece to keep the tongue in the proper position while nailing. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:36 am 
Worthy Contributor

My saw has a fairly large opening where the blade comes through. The little pieces like to fall or hang up in there, making this job more difficult then it should be. Try this. Set your rip fence to the correct width. Take a piece of masonite (or similar product), that is roughly the size of the table saw top (from the fence, over). Turn off the saw, drop the blade down, and set the pice of masonite on top of the table. You can use clamps, or double face tape to secure it. Turn on the saw, run the blade up through the masonite until it is at the required height.
Now you can rip away to your hearts content, and you won't lose a precious piece of spline. Keep the length of your "stock" to a reasonable size, to make the cutting safer. Cut a bunch while your at it. I stick it in PVC tubing, cap and label it, and keep it on the truck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:34 pm 
New User

Thank you Gary and SK Olson for replying my question. I greatly appreciate your suggestion. Your help makes the forum very informative.