Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: reversing spline for kahrs
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:46 am 
New User

I think my layout will reguire me to revers the direction of the t and g on a floating floor.Do you guys know if i get the spline from kahrs or do i need to make it myself.Thanks for the help,
Rod
Seattle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:04 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

As far as I know, Kahrs now is a "click" system which uses a interlocking T&G design. There isn't spline made to reverse. IMO, a big problem with floaters which use this type of T&G. Tarkett Longstrip still uses the standard glue together T&G and spline can be had or made for that. I don't know what other installers do in these cases. What I have done is IGNORE the instructions and CAREFULLY install the flooring backwards. Perhaps Ken can give us both some tips on reversing a click system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:47 pm 
Prized Contributor

Gary, Kahr's "mega strip" is not a click. It is straight milled. But it is also a gluedown only, from what little I have read about it. It is not up to par, with Kahr's flooring of the past.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:14 pm 
New User

Do you guys think i should stay with kahrs or look for a traditional t&g?I spent a year walking on a samle box of kahrs and found that if water got between the boards there would be some discoloration.I fugured the glue would help water proof the seams.Now with the change i am not sure what to do.Build the home with radiant on slab and all sized for the kahrs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:31 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

If you know you will need to change directions and have designed the house with the Kahrs floating flooring in mind, you could substitute the Tarkett Longstrip instead. It has the traditional T&G design that uses glue and you can obtain spline to reverse directions. Harris-Tarkett (now just Tarkett) floors used to be top of the line; some of their product lines still are. But the last time I installed a Tarkett Longstrip floor, the milling was not up to their previous standards. I'm not sure what happened because I have been installing Longstrip for twenty years and never had problems like this. I don't know if I got a bad batch or this is the way most of their floors are now. One thing I do know, the Tarkett floors have an "Aluminide" finish whereas the Kahrs is one of the very few still using uv cured urethane which means it's not quite as scratch resistant but still quite good. The Tarkett Longstrip floors would make a good substitute for Kahrs IF one needed to reverse directions.