Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rhodes Hardwood on DIY Network April 30
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

In the series "I Hate My Kitchen" 8:30 PM Tuesday according to their blog. Times vary I suppose depending on your market. Good job Rhodes!

That makes two members that have been on TV. Are there others? The second member is our newbie, Debbie the flooring girl.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Rhodes Hardwood on DIY Network April 30
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:43 pm 
Prized Contributor

Awesome, I'll definetly watch!

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:16 am 
Worthy Contributor

Oh cool. I'll watch, too. And, thx so much for the mention.

When we did our work for "Sell This House," we had to use water based poly and they only allowed us to do 2 coats. That's what was needed to keep their timeline/production schedule, but I would never do that in real life.

Debbie Gartner, aka The Flooring Girl

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:25 pm 
Prized Contributor

I bet not enough time for proper acclimation either. :mrgreen: Why's everyone wearing a jacket inside? heh heh

I hear that theres many failures of Bellawood on thet show (forgot the name)where they demo and rebuild houses for people who are in a jamb.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:28 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Stephen - LOL...yeah sorta. On the refinishing one, the wood had been there for maybe 100 yrs, so that one was okay (it was under the carpet).

On the 2nd house, we were supposed to sand and refinish the hardwood under the vinyl, only to discover at 5pm there the contractor was mistaken - it was plywood. That was a tad stressful. I had a sanding crew reserved for NIGHT work (during one of our busiest weeks), so I had no wood and no crew. Ordered new engineered hardwood to arrive at 9am (it had been temperature controlled) and then the guys installed it on top of the plywood and then they added another room over concrete. They installed at 6pm or something. Not ideal, but we had no choice. We were able to switch things around a bit and shifted the crews. I was happy when that one was over.

Debbie, aka The Flooring Girl

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Why's everyone wearing a jacket inside? heh heh

Oh here we go...pick, pick and pick... :lol:

There's probably a good reason for that. Could have something to do with the film crew availability or production as Debbie mentions. Maybe they just needed that part of the procedure to fill/start a story line and nobody was thinking? The way these things go is they may spend and hour with you and you only see 30 seconds of finished film. Similar happened to Debbie when we talked a few months ago.

I usually see everything, but I missed that one! I actually had a jobsite "interview" recently with a potential candidate in Atlanta for my slow going (non-existent) video project and saw things I would never show in a video. I also got the impression they weren't about to change either. Some guys must just be too busy to think about how and what they do that can have an negative effect on bringing in new customers. Seems anybody can slap a video together these days, but do they bring in results? Or maybe they are not expecting results. I'm lost on that one. One day I'll find someone that sees the big picture.

I had to politely tell him I couldn't work with him and we parted our ways.

Dustin Rhodes must be doing something right. Also on HGTV according to his site. Everything about his online presence screams quality. Has to be young?

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:30 pm 
Prized Contributor

Ken Fisher wrote:
Quote:

Oh here we go...pick, pick and pick... :lol:

Yea, it's easy to nit pick those shows I guess. And stills of the video. For instance in your picture you posted Ken, looks like there is temp heat in the fashion of a kerosene heater directly behind them. We all probably know how much moisture a kerosene heater blows into a jobsite. Thats a big no no.

Howver, I am looking more towards the installation technical intricasies of a video than those as I mentioned. It's just that I see those all the time on those types of shows.
I chalk it up to lack of time for planning I guess.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:31 am 
Site Admin

It's could also be about selling product if you look at their website. Whether not not that has any emphasis at the present time I do not know. But selling an appliance for example or that cool thermostat is easier than a floor or a contractor. But I'm sure that will change with how fast the web changes, not to mention how everyone wants that next customer online before they go to a brick and mortar store. Another reason why I'm so gung ho about video. It's the next stage of the web.

It's just a matter of time you'll be able to watch a TV program, highlight a product (on pause) for example and click to buy. It's already happening with some online video.

Too bad Dustin didn't get a word in there but Peter Connor at WD flooring did.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:01 pm 
Valued Contributor

TheFlooringGirl wrote:
Stephen - LOL...yeah sorta. On the refinishing one, the wood had been there for maybe 100 yrs, so that one was okay (it was under the carpet).

On the 2nd house, we were supposed to sand and refinish the hardwood under the vinyl, only to discover at 5pm there the contractor was mistaken - it was plywood. That was a tad stressful. I had a sanding crew reserved for NIGHT work (during one of our busiest weeks), so I had no wood and no crew. Ordered new engineered hardwood to arrive at 9am (it had been temperature controlled) and then the guys installed it on top of the plywood and then they added another room over concrete. They installed at 6pm or something. Not ideal, but we had no choice. We were able to switch things around a bit and shifted the crews. I was happy when that one was over.

Debbie, aka The Flooring Girl

I've never been approached by a TV show but for the reasons that you mentioned above, I would probably not be interested anyway. My reputation is built on doing the best work possible and home improvement shows cut a lot of corners for the sake of production dead lines which is something I would have a problem with.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:52 am 
Site Admin

I see your point Paul. SP feels the same way.

But I'll throw something out there. People get found with these kind of shows. Same is true with online video. Of course the numbers are very low. It's all about how they can run with it. On a related note, I've briefly watched Jon Namba over the years. Didn't he come from practically nowhere because of the web? Or at least the web helped his accomplishments.

Anybody met the guy?

http://www.floortrendsmag.com/articles/ ... l-director

Another one is Scott Avery who contributes to the blog at hardwoodfloorsmag. He's just getting started by the looks of it.

Then there's Stephen Perrera, but he's kind of controversial.. :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:05 pm 
Prized Contributor

I've had the pleasure of meeting Jon a few times. He also certified me once.

He's got the nack to move about in those circles.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:05 pm 
Valued Contributor

Well, there's certainly nothing wrong with taking advantage of an opportunity.I met a contractor that did some work with This Old House and he said nothing really came of the TV exposure .

Then again, some contractors like me are great with homeowners but not aggressive marketers. And other contractors have the knack for marketing.I hope it works out .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:18 am 
Site Admin

I agree Paul. They rarely mention your name anyway.

Here's a good story for all to chuckle at.

It was 2006 or so and I got a call from a cable network. Not sure which one, but they promoted "exposure." They did a freaking great job of it too. I was engaged, almost hooked until at the 30 minute part of the phone discussion or end, they wanted $25,000. I was pacing the floor for ten minutes after I hung up, telling my accountant/secretary..."They could have saved us both time by saying that up front."

I think the exposure was mostly about credits only at the closing of the show. That did it for me. Who looks at credits? I also had someone from Extreme Makeover call me on donating material for a show...once again "credits at the end"

I'm sure as you say, somebody with the right drive could turn it into something if they followed up. But that's not me nor did I have the time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:28 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Sorry for the very long delay replying Ken. Thanks a lot for mentioning our company. We sincerely appreciate it..

Profile E-mail