Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rookie on board-Install Questions.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:57 pm 
New User

I have enjoyed reading this forum. Thanks in advance to the pro's who take the time to help us rookies! It is appreciated.

Ok, here it goes:

I am installing "Award" Terra Bella engineered American Cherry over a concrete slab. Luckily, the rooms are all rectengular which should help me. My questions are...

1) Start in middle of floor, or against a wall?(I have read mixed things on this one).
2) Should I allow the starter row to dry overnight before continuing?
3) What is the easiest way to "scribe" a board up against a wall?
4) Should I use T & G glue with this engineered floor?
5) I am laying wood in the living room, dining room, kitchen, family room and bedroom which will have three doorways between them... is it ok to run continuously thru these areas, or is it better/safer to run a transition strip between the rooms?

This is my first big flooring project helping out a friend who only wants me in her house. (recently widowed)
I am a framer by trade, and this project seems a little intimidating me, although I know I can pull it off! Thanks again for your input. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:39 pm 
Worthy Contributor

1. If you are gluing to the slab start in the middle. If you are floating start against the longest wall.

2. You do not need to let the starter dry. If you are gluing to the slab, take a board and cut it into small pieces chalk a line down the center of the room and nail these starter blocks to the floor along that line with a cut nail or a Topcon. Work from the center to the wall. Once you complete that you can put up for the day and let it dry if you like. Tape the boards with blue tap as you go to keep them from separating and make sure you wipe up all of the glue. If you are floating then put some shims against the wall and start gluing the seams together.

3. Flip it over and mark it. It will give you the correct cut.

4. Yes, if you are going to float the floor.

5. Yes, it looks better and more traditional to run it seamless. Don’t install it in the kitchen you are asking for trouble.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:09 am 
New User

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am planning on gluing down to concrete subfloor. She insist on having wood floor in the kitchen to my objections... since she has no kids, she is ok with the risk.

Also, you mentioned:

"2. You do not need to let the starter dry. If you are gluing to the slab, take a board and cut it into small pieces chalk a line down the center of the room and nail these starter blocks to the floor along that line with a cut nail or a Topcon. Work from the center to the wall. Once you complete that you can put up for the day and let it dry if you like. Tape the boards with blue tap as you go to keep them from separating and make sure you wipe up all of the glue. If you are floating then put some shims against the wall and start gluing the seams together."

Can you expand on the "starter blocks". I cannot nail them down to the subfloor because I am installing on a concrete slab?????

Thanks and cheers,

Phil in So Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:02 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

#2) A Tapcon is a concrete screw. Alternatively, you can substitute a masonry (ei: concrete) nail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:55 am 
Worthy Contributor

Phil,

These starter blocks are removed they are put in to keep you boards straight and to have something to tap your boards against without the whole thing moving.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:20 am 
Prized Contributor

If you go to the pictures I recently posted in a floor prep thread, you will see in the one picture of the glue spread, ready to start placing boards, that piece of aluminum channel laying there. I set the edge of that heavy channel on my line. I use it to keep the starter row on my line, instead of nailing anything to the concrete. I place my knees up on it when I get a few rows going, and it keeps it from moving. Once it is all placed and taped together tight, it will be right on the line.

Here is the picture I was talking about. The roll of blue tape is sitting on my aluminum channel.

Here it is in action doing it's job. I slide it down and back depending where I'm working on the rows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:20 pm 
New User

Got it!

Thanks guys. Have a great Turkey Day!

Cheers,

phil in so cal