Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rough texture and bubbles from "Water Popping"
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:15 pm 
New User

Hi, I'm a homeowner who recently hired a floor installer to install and finish some select quality, 3/4" red oak hardwood in 4" planks. We wanted a dark walnut look, so he "water popped" it. However, I noticed 3 distinct problems after he finished everything: (1) chatter marks throughout, (2) a rough texture almost like tiny bubbles on the grain part of the wood, and (3) split/cracked planks.

He basically acknowledged that (1) and (3) were problems, but he said (2) was the result of bad wood. I told him I thought that the water popping caused the grains to absorb water and then it appeared to have condensation when he did 2 coats of poly. We are in Los Angeles, and have had temperature and humidity swings over the last 10 days between 40 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit with dry to rainy weather.

I think this problem is from grain rise and using hot water and popping without waiting for a return to proper humidity. He said my select grade wood is defective. Who's right and what can I tell him? Thx

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Rough texture and bubbles from "Water Popping"
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:59 am 
Newbie Contributor

I had a similiar problem with a 3" red oak floor recently. The floor checked and cracked after popping. This is unfortuante and we did our best to hide the problem areas. The homeowners realized that they didnot even have heat installed in the room until well after we installled the floor. This was the culprite. It wasnt acclimated properly.
As far as the chatter marks, you will have to re-sand with a different company to solve that problem. If you cant get over the chatter you have to refinish. Bubbles in the finish can be buffed down a bit but for the most part it sounds like a refinish is in order.
One of the reasons we are moving over to Rubio Monocoat. Less problems. If htere are problems they will be fixable.
Good luck!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Rough texture and bubbles from "Water Popping"
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:08 pm 
Valued Contributor

water popping is done for a few different reasons and can be good and sometimes can be bad.It depends on the contractor and his reasons for using the technique.

That being said, when grain is popped, the grain is raised. This makes the wood rough. The only way to deal with that is to build up enough urethane over the wood / stain to properly seal and coat everything.

Water popping alone is not enough to split or crack boards.This sounds like a moisture issue in the home multiplied with a possible lack of acclimation of the wood prior to install.

IF the environment has humidity or temperature issues, it's his responsibility to inform you of the issues and then choose a course to proceed with.Just the fact that he left chatter marks in your floor tells me that he's not a professional.I use quality machines and maintain them to ensure that I never leave chatter.My machines along with proper technique can actually remove chatter from a floor

Profile E-mail