Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: sanding vs. buffing
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:00 pm 
New User

Hi everyone.

I am trying to decide to have my hardwood floors either buffed or sanded down and then refinished. My house was built in 2002 and they still have the original hardwood floors. The finish is coming off and there are some gouges in the floor so something needs to be done soon. I have been told that it could be sanded down and then refinished but I would not be able to be in my house for 3 days ( hardwood is on the first floor of the house). Then I read about having the floor buffed and then recoated. This option says it will be done by the time I get home from work. I am hoping someone can give me advice on what option is the best. I do not want to be out of my house for 3 days but I also do not want my floors to possible need to be redone in a year or 2.

Thanks for the help.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: sanding vs. buffing
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:09 pm 
Prized Contributor

If you have taken proper care when cleaning and did not leave a residue from polish or some other contaminant, you will be able to re-coat your floors.
It takes careful cleaning and then letting the floor dry before coating.
The color that you will get is like when it is wet from the rinse step. Re-coating will not fill in dents, however if they are very deep you may use a pre-finish type of wood patch in the color that matches the floor and has dried well.
After taking the time to make sure that you have good adhesion, you may as well apply two coats of finish for extra wear layer.
A two part finish will be your best product to use on your floor.

Profile E-mail