Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sanding HELP!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:22 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I need advice to avoid this screw up.

I just finished sanding a R&Q S&B R.O. floor.

I sanded the field and edges with 36, 50, and 80. I then sanded the edger marks out with a palm sander with 80. I normally use 120 g for the final screen, but I didn't have any. So, I buffed with 150 g screen.
I applied the stain with a wipe on/off and immediately saw that I picture framed the floor.
I realize now that I should have used a lower grit screen, and that would have helped the walls blend with the floor better, but I have the feeling that I am doing something else wrong.
Details:
I run the edger using a thin (1/16"-1/8") white pad, but I still seem to get edger scratches so I then use the palm sander with 80 g as well.
I buff counter clockwise then clockwise. I start in the middle and work my way to one wall and then go back to center, flip my screen and start the other way.
Do I need a new edger?
Does anyone know of the multidisc? Would this be the solution?

I ended up being able to blend most of the stain difference by buffing the field with very fine maroon pads. This lightened the transition.

All suggestion are appreciated.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Sanding HELP!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:32 am 
New User

Its pretty simple really, you broke the two grit rule when you jumped 100 and 120 to 150, youre only supposed to skip one grit max.

Personally on a job youre describing I would have gone 36, 60, 100 drum and then buff at 120. Even when I hit my floor with the 3ds I still have to palm the edges and check carefully. Its the nature of the beast. Charge accordingly.

I think as you transition from drum/edger to buffer you shouldnt skip a grit to make sure you have a deep enough scratch to remove the previous one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:11 pm 
Valued Contributor

As mentioned , you might have jumped too far ahead on the screening.A multidisc has some advantages as it can blend the edges to the field more quickly. I have one and it's pretty good but it also has a tendency to take big slivers out of the floor which requires repair. So it isn't a cure all type of machine.Also, most guys using the multidisc still leave a heavy scratch pattern in the floor . Many guys use 80 grit on the multidisc which in my opnion is way too rough. I use 3M regalite 120 grit on mine and it still leaves enough of a scratch pattern that i have to use a 120 grit screen afterwards.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:30 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Thanks guys!

After posting my question, I began reading some of the other posts and realized the error of my ways.
I ordered a multidisc today and plan on using it as a step prior to buffing.

Profile E-mail