Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: sanding new oak
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:27 pm 
New User

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the board and new to hardwood floors. I've been working on a complete reno on a 100 year old house for about a year now and it's down to the floors. The owners purchased about 1200 ft2 of 13/4" x 3/8"unfinished oak, because it most closely matches what is already installed in the living room. Due to a building boom in the area we haven't been able to get anyone "reliable" to look at this job so I decide to take it on myself, with much research and question asking. I've got 2 rooms laid and the floor looks great but I'm getting a lot of different opinions on how to sand this floor. Because the material is so thin (actually closer to 5/16 than 3/8) it has to be done right the first time. I don't have access to a random orbit floor sander or muti-disc. The local rental yard has a drum or square buff only but I was told the square buff is no good for rough sanding a new floor, and the drum is too aggressive. Any thoughts?

Cam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:55 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

It depends on how much overwood you have now prior to sanding. The square buff will take longer but is probably the safer approach. Another approach would be to sand the floors ONE TIME ONLY with 80 grit on the drum sander then follow that up with 100 grit on the square buff. This isn't what I'd do but what I might recommend a first timer do. Do one room (the least important) first to see how it turns out. See if the customer will accept a natural finish as those show sanding flaws the least. Try to practice on some plywood first, just to get the hang of operating the sanders. Don't expect the results to be perfect for your first time. It takes practice, skill and knowledge. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:28 pm 
New User

Thanks for the info gary. I've actually had some practice with the drum, refinishing a beat up fir floor in another house. That one turned out good , but considering how awful it was when I started anything would have been a big improvement. This floor doesn't seem to have a whole lot of overwood, and I don't mind spending the time with the square buff, but can I get the floor flat with that machine only? I was actually thinking of doing it exactly as you suggested; one pass with the drum then finish with the suare buff, although you said you would not do it that way. How would you do it?

Cam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:43 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Probably sand on a 30 degree angle with 50 grit on my Hummel belt sander. Trowel fill if needed. Then edge with 100 grit with my Clarke Super 7 edger. Then fine cut with 100 grit on the Hummel going with the grain. Then hardplate with 100 grit disc on my Clarke buffer and finally, 100 grit screen with the Clarke buffer.