Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sanding off oil-based poly
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:44 am 
New User

Hey all!

I've recently laid down DriCore in my basement. If you haven't heard of DriCore, it's used as a moisture barrier subfloor: plastic membrane underneath OSB.

We're not putting anything on top of it as we like the look of the OSB. I've sanded the OSB and on Monday (morning and night) I put two coats of Varathane Floor Finish (oil-based polyurethane).

The odor is intoxicating and after reading about the VOC's and the high potential of off-gassing for weeks - maybe months - to come is concerning. We have a baby coming in a few weeks and I really don't want this in the house!

I have found a non-toxic finish that is made by AFM: Safecoat PolyureSeal BP. I believe the VOC count is 12 versus the 350 or 450 count of the Varathane Floor Finish I used.

So, I have a few questions: Can I put this water-based PolyureSeal OVER the oil-based Varathane? I'm receiving a sample to try out. Recommendations?

Would it be better to sand off the two coats of Varathane and then put the PolyureSeal down?

The finish has been on for 36 hours as of 11am today (Wednesday). How long of a wait is recommended until I do one of the two aforementioned?

Thanks,
James

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Sanding off oil-based poly
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:39 pm 
Prized Contributor

If you already have oil based poly-urethane starting to cure, you can help it by ventilating and warming the room. You can go over the poly with water-based after it cures.
The fumes should be mostly gone in a week under good conditions.
The solvent fumes are heavier than air, so using a fan to keep the air moving will help with curing.
Two coats should last ten years, so the curing time is with the wait,since it is already there, in my opinion.
Do you have a box fan? Can you open a window? Can you close the door to the rest of the house?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:47 am 
New User

Thanks for the response!

Yes, I've cranked the heat up to 75 and I have cracked the windows in the basement along with fans for circulation. I used duct tape and heavy duty plastic to tape off the door to the basement. Windows in the main floor are also open with fans moving air around.

Any thoughts on time to cure? I've heard about a week to 30 days.

Since my wife is pregnant we have not been staying at the house.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:26 pm 
New User

Did you have success with the AFM PolyureSeal over the oil-based finish?

Profile E-mail