Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Santos Mahogany Staircase
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

From Gary. I'm assuming it's Santos? Looks like it. Are you involved in the whole project? Installation & finishing? Why not matching railings? Looks like standard oak from here.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:37 pm 
Newbie Contributor

very nice job Gary, looks great. are those solid treads?. hard to tell from the pictures, they look kinda thin to be solid?..nice work..I'd do staircases all day if I could.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:57 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Sorry guys. I have been having trouble sending attachments and photos. I think I finally have it solved. About the stairs: I demoed the existing staircase and built this one. The treads are solid braz. cherry fabed on-site from 5/4" by 18' stock (they are all solid and are NOT laminated in width, those braz. cherry trees must be huge) Width of planks was 12", 5 planks were used. I did all the work,demo, fabrication, sanding, finishing, installing, even the painting of the risers and skirts, which are 3/4" poplar. The newels and rails are american cherry and will be stained to match the treads. The balusters are paint grade and will match risers. The thickness of the treads is 1&1/16" + the 3/4"x1/2" scotia molding underneath, which is also braz. cherry. The reason for using american cherry on the newels and rails was it was readily available already machined into stair parts. It would have been cost prohibitive to manufacter braz. cherry newels and rails. I think once stained and finished, they should match well enough. The hardest part was making the end returns and jack miters. Well, not hard; time consuming. I used Zinsser's seal coat for sealer for color and followed it with two coats of Basic's Street Shoe. This was a fun job but took longer than anticipated. Thanks for looking! Gary :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:17 am 
Prized Contributor

Very nice Gary. I can tell you have spent a lot of time on that. What tecnique did you use on the starting step?

Stairs are my favorite too, just don't get enough of them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:38 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Thanks Jerry, I'm not sure what you mean by technique for starting step?
If you mean the radius on the riser, that was just a regular rough framed box with the radiused ends added on. Then I "
wrapped" it with a 1/4" birch plywood skin by gluing and brad nailing. Pretty easy really. Curves and radiuses take practice but once you understand how to do them, they are not difficult; time consuming though. Thanks for asking! :D