Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Santos Mahogany
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:30 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I looked at an installation of this today, the complaint was regarding some scratches and indentations. I was surprised to find that you could easily indent the wood with your fingernail. With a hardness rating of 2200 on the Janka scale, I wouldn't think it would indent so easily. Not all the boards did it, just enough to warrant concern. The Manufacturer refused to come out and look at the job, as they were told that the claim was scratching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:43 pm 
Valued Contributor

People who bitch about indentation should have bought laminate. There are laminates on the market that look like wood(sort of) and do not dent. Indentation is an ancillary feature of a wood floor, not a reason to complain about wood. If impact resistance was one's primary reason for choosing wood, they were mislead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:12 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I agree, but you are missing the point of the question. i simply want to know, if this is normal for a wood as hard as Santos. Its just a step away from Brazilian Walnut, in terms of hardness. I am not discussing anyones expectations or the performance of on type of floorin to another, just, should it indent? Easy question, does anybody know??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:18 pm 
Prized Contributor

Sounds more like african mahogany or honduran they are closer to true mahogany with a janka in the 800s.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:58 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Is it actually indenting the wood or could it be the finish that is indenting? 9 times out of ten it is the finish that gives the illusion that the wood is being compressed. If that is not the case then I think I would have to agree with KevinD. Are you sure you got what you think it is. Again though, “indent with your fingernail” is pointing fingers back to the finish not the wood.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:37 pm 
Worthy Contributor

How would you tell if it was the finish? cut the board, across the indentations ? And if it was the finish, why would it be just on some boards? Would it not be on all the boards? I'm thinking in that case, the variable is the wood.
Is it possible that a product sold as Santos Mahogany, could be something other then Santos?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:33 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I have a buddy that put it in his house did a reel nice job. He's got a chow within a week he got his dog some little bootys. But it was scratch up alittle. He's got a few dings now too. And they take off there shoes. I think in a busy household its gonna damage. I mean look how careful we have to be installing wood so we don't damage it . I think people got iron and wood confused. You go to some of these peoples houses little timmy dragen a firetruck down the hall and the dogs run back and fouth barking wanting to go out. I mean really some folks ought to stick with carpet real wood doesn't serve there lifestyle. But what do i know i just install'em