Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Satellite
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:59 pm 
Worthy Contributor

If any of you guys are familiar with the Satellite (it's an attachment for my buffer which replaces and is better than my hardplate) . . . I just bought one and have used it on two different buffers. On both buffers it occasionally starts jumpin' around. I just turn of the buffer and start it up again. Then it's ok for most of the time.
Any one else have problems like this?
Thanks in advance.
Charlie

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:55 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Charlie,
I haven't used a satellite but will share with you my buffer experiences. Whenever my buffers start a hoppin' on me, it's usually due to imbalance. If I'm using towels or carpet to buff stain and they get to one side of the driving block, look out. It's hop along. If an abrasive gets offset, the same thing can happen. I suspect it is something like this but perhaps post this question to the manufacterer. I hope to try that satellite soon. Do you feel it is superior to hardplating for flatening an floor?

Post subject: Satellite
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:43 am 
Worthy Contributor

Gary:
All the data isn't in on this one, yet. But after using it on just one floor, I'd have to say that it's pretty good compared to the cutting power of my screen and hardplate. Now that I've gotten the feel for it a little bit, I'm ready to adjust the grits that were first recommended to me. You know how salesmen are! "Yes, Mr. Benghauser, this 150 grit aluminum oxide is THE one to use!" I say "OK. You would know!" Right! But now I want to start with 100 grit silicone carbide and end with 180 grit silicone carbide.
Just tweaking the grits, as they say on the beaches of California. Kinda' like "Surf's up!!".
Blah, blah, blah! lol

Back to the subject!
The satellite has 6 - 4 1/2 inch heads on it. I guess that they're grabbing a little bit which is causing the jumping.

Thanks for your response, Gary. Take care.
Charlie

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: P.S.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:46 am 
Worthy Contributor

Gary:
Another thought: I'll be putting the Satellite to the test on my next job. I'll be putting down water-based poly. THEN I'll be able to tell just how much better the Satellite is compared to my hardplate.
Another thing I DID notice . . . there are absolutely NO swirling scratches with the Satelite that I otherwise would get with the hardplate and screen.
Bye.
Charlie

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: P.S.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:19 am 
Prized Contributor

Charles A. Benghauser wrote:
there are absolutely NO swirling scratches with the Satelite that I otherwise would get with the hardplate and screen.
Bye.
Charlie

That alone, would sell me!!

If it makes me look better then the competition, I have to have it.

Post subject: scratches
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:34 am 
Worthy Contributor

Floorguy:
I hope I didn't speak out of turn when I said NO scratches! I can usually see swirls from hardplating and I didn't see any when I used the Satellite. But I put Synteko's curing oil (they changed the name from Solids to "Natural"). As you know, it seems that any finish that penetrates kinda' covers up slight scratches rather than enhancing them.
Point is: I'll really know how good the Satellite is when I do a stain job.
Besides the Satellite, I just purchased a Festool Rotex 6" sander for close edge finishing/blending. My wife loves it when I drop a thousand dollar bill on two pieces of equipment (toys!). "But hon! They're absolutely necessary!" Then she gives me "THE look". lol
Take care.
Charlie

Profile E-mail