Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Satin poly over high gloss?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:51 am 
New User

We recently purchased a home with red oak flooring. The wood is in excellent shape, however were finished in high gloss, which is not our personal preference. We had a company come out and they said since the wood was in such good shape they could just screen the floors and apply the satin poly. When they were finished I was very disappointed to see that the finish was still very shiny and there was very little if any difference. Does anyone have any experience with this? If they had told me that it wouldn't make much difference I may have opted to refinish the floors instead, but trusted their opinion. Any advice or experiences welcomed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:08 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I would've sugested the same procedure. Is the finish oil, Sweedish or water based?

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:28 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Well.. I think we have to figure out how he abraded the surface, ...did he screen it or maroon pad it? ..etc. then we have to SEE exactly what product he used... (and not just said he used). You can change the sheen by a screen and recoat if done properly.
The floor must be cleaned thouroughy also. I use Basic's IFT, then Squeeky...bufiing it on and off with red pad, then rinsing it with wet towels, then drying. Next, maroon pad with 4x 220 grit gold 3m strips... then hand sand all corners and high low spots that were missed.... VAc, Tack, Coat... boo yah... Ship the Sherbert...Good 2 go Joe... haha