Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: satin polyurethane leaves streaks and uneven gloss
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:26 pm 
New User

So I decided to get back into refinishing floors from doing it full time over 10 years ago. I'm wondering how much has changed with techniques and applications. Ive always used the wool applicator, a paint tray, stirred my poly's, removed dust with a tack cloth etc etc.

I did a screen and coat job last week. The floor really didnt need done but the landlord wanted another coat to protect it. Anyways I screened the floor, about 600 sq feet and used Varathane's Satin oil polyurethane with aluminum oxide in it. I stirred both cans very well and kept stirring them as I kept pouring into the trays as needed. Everything went well, as I have done it like this in the past without any errors.

But when the customer called me and told there were streak marks in the floor I was shocked because I thought I did it correctly. All over the floor there were glossy and dull spots. No humidity since its winter time and the house was at 65 degrees, slowly increasing temperature through out the day.

Any suggestions what I should do? Did a screw myself for using an aluminum oxide based poly to do a light screening and re coat? Should I have applied 2 coats? And will a semigloss hide the uneven satin streaks?

In the past I always used minwax and never had any problems. I have done about 30 floors in my lifetime and this is a first for me. Any tips, advice, criticism would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: satin polyurethane leaves streaks and uneven gloss
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:05 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I recommend trying a 3/8" nap roller cover to apply. I have had similar difficulty in the past when using a lambs wool applicator to apply satin finish. I don't know, but I suspect the lambs wool may be "dragging" some of the solids and leaving gloss streaks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:04 am 
Valued Contributor

wool applicator and waterbase finish....mistake 1

2 mixing finishes as you went ..mistake 2...mix 1 batch together of both gallons then use from that.

last mistake...you did 30 floors and now have the expertise most of which was acquired 10 years ago and you decide to resurrect that lack of experience and go out and charge customers for your self perceived expertise?

and now you have a problem? go figure

http://www.flortechardwood.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:06 am 
New User

James where does it say in my post that I used a water based?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:51 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

This poly obviously spreads differently than the Minwax you where accustomed to. To correct the problem, go back and do a light screen . . .do what you had done best ( Minwax).
Not all finishes lay-down the same, and it's real obvious with satin.
Good-Luck

Profile E-mail