Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Scratches from a sander in a maple floor unavoidable
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:49 am 
Newbie Contributor

I have a question that i simply I wanted to get a professionals opinion on that comes from my background as a professional woodworker / furnituremaker.

I am about to sand out hard maple floors in my own house. My experience from my job as a professional woodworker with many years experience is that whenever I sand maple I must be very exact and careful as to what method I use. If I use a rotary or random orbit or even an vibrating type sander (no matter how fine a grit I use) I always get visible scratches in the final product. I recently sanded a maple table with a random orbit up to 22O grit and the finish product after the finish was full of pigtails. The only way I can sand maple is with the grain (beltsander or stationary drum sander) going thru all the grits up to 220.

therfore my question is this: An edger is a rotary sander. How is it that a floor finisher can sand the edges and not get rotary scrathes in the maple? Even hand sanding with a pad sander after the edger would not remove all the scratches and would put a different shapes swirly scratch in the floor. How does one accomplish this perfect sand. The floors will not be stained so this will help. I would never attempt to stain a maple floor. Also these are new floors just installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:26 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Quote:
How is it that a floor finisher can sand the edges and not get rotary scrathes in the maple?

"Ancient Chinese secret". Actually, one does get some swirl in the floors from operating the edger. I use a back up pad and 100 as my final grit and get very little swirl. I will hand sand the edges as needed to eliminate noticable sanding marks. It is not advisable to get a mirror sanded surface on maple. Too smooth and the finishes do not penetrate and bond properly. I tell many people this. " Floors are not furniture." So any experience you may have about furniture finishing DOES NOT APPLY to floor finishing. Many folks fail to understand this but a whole set of dynamics comes into play in flooring that furniture does not need to deal with. BTW, I never, and I mean never, have a problem with sanding marks in my floors. Not that they are not there on occassion, just that they are not noticable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:36 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Thank you Gary. Thank you for addressing my concern and for sharing your knowledge with us. Very much appreciated. Scott