Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Screwing down plywood subfloors and also lino tiles
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:51 pm 
New User

We finally got possession of our house (I was asking everyone about whether I should do Brazilian Cherry or not about a month ago), and our contractor is in there sanding and refinishing the original one inch strip oak floors right now. :) For the bedroom which was carpeted, we have torn out the carpets and pulled out all the staples, etc. The subfloor is 3/4" plywoof which is in great shape and not creaking (the bedroom was an extension to the house and is only 18 or so years old).

Here's my question:

Should we screw down the plywood still? The floor appears to be excessively nailed (3" centers). Our general thinks it's already overkill, and the floor is solid. But a friend of ours who is a framer suggested they we should screw down the subfloor anyway (he would come and do it for us as a favour), because all nails will eventually work loose a bit, and then we'll have squeeky floors. What's the collective wisdom here.

Also, there is a section of the bedroom ( on a different level) which has old lino tiles under the carpet. Can wood be laid over top without problems?

FYI, we are doing site finished 2 1/4" wide, 3/4" Brazilian Cherry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:30 pm 
Worthy Contributor

It's always cheap insurance to put a few screws in the subfloor while you have the option. At the very least, sometimes I just use my flooring nailer to pop some cleats into the joists. pop pop pop

Shouldn't be a problem laying over the lino, suppose if they are brittle they could shatter when nailing. The subfloor is ply? Usually those tiles will flip right up(in my perfect world :) but there is asbestos worries.

www.theoakfloorsofmarco.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:34 pm 
New User

That's what I thought about the screws too - cheap insurance.

Thanks for the quick answer to both questions, Marco.