Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: scuffs and squeaks on the new floor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:56 am 
New User

Hello,

We are one a day 2 of replacing all carpet with hardwood(Lauzon Red Oak, select&better) project and we have following problems with contractor, I was hoping for a help to make a fire decision:
We asked the contractor not to install the hardwood until we get to inspect the subfloor twice, both times he said ok, yet he went ahead and laid the hardwood
The only room done is living room, there are 2 squeaky spots and 7-8 scuff marks that seem to be caused by dragging something on the newly installed floor or hitting the boards hard. The scuffs are not visible unless looked closely
The contractor cut the hardwood inside the house on the newly installed floor, while we have a weather protected deck right outside of the living room he could have used and then he stored the tools on top of the newly installed wood (it's unclear why, we emptied entire house - there are lot of undone areas 2 steps away), if we tell him to or not to do something he either says OK and then does it his way anyway or gives some excuses, like - nothing will happen to floor if I cut on top of it, I put cardboard underneath

How bad is all this? Should we fire the guy while we can save the rest of the floor?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: scuffs and squeaks on the new floor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:06 pm 
Valued Contributor

gula wrote:
Hello,

We are one a day 2 of replacing all carpet with hardwood(Lauzon Red Oak, select&better) project and we have following problems with contractor, I was hoping for a help to make a fire decision:
We asked the contractor not to install the hardwood until we get to inspect the subfloor twice, both times he said ok, yet he went ahead and laid the hardwood
The only room done is living room, there are 2 squeaky spots and 7-8 scuff marks that seem to be caused by dragging something on the newly installed floor or hitting the boards hard. The scuffs are not visible unless looked closely
The contractor cut the hardwood inside the house on the newly installed floor, while we have a weather protected deck right outside of the living room he could have used and then he stored the tools on top of the newly installed wood (it's unclear why, we emptied entire house - there are lot of undone areas 2 steps away), if we tell him to or not to do something he either says OK and then does it his way anyway or gives some excuses, like - nothing will happen to floor if I cut on top of it, I put cardboard underneath

How bad is all this? Should we fire the guy while we can save the rest of the floor?

Obviously you are not satisfied him. If he says yes to a request and then doesn't honor it I'd get rid of him. Cut your losses and fire him now. There is no reason why you should have to put up with him.

Profile E-mail