Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Second Floor Layout Direction
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:45 am 
Newbie Contributor

Hello everyone and thank you for your input in my previous messages. I’m on my second phase after finishing a few practice rooms in the house.

My query now is about layout of wood direction on my second floor. See picture link below.

The master bedroom is already finished and now I’m expanding into the rest of the second floor. For aesthetic reasons, we would like to run the wood floor parallel to the wall in hallway area 3. Therefore, I need to change directions at least between areas 1 and 3. This will make bedrooms 4-5-6 against the joist, and I’m having a mental problem with that. So then I would change direction again in bedrooms 4-5-6.

My wife thinks this would not look the best aesthetically, and she doesn’t feel that the added structural strength is necessary. She would like areas 1 and 2 to run the same horizontal direction as the master bedroom and only change direction once in area 3 (the hallway) and have the bedrooms (4,5 &6) run vertical and match the hallway direction.

I’m open to any suggestion criticism and comment. Thx.

http://www.veniceoptometry.com/2ndFloorWoodLayout.jpg

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Second Floor Layout Direction
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:33 am 
Prized Contributor

If you have a 3/4 inch sub-floor or thicker I like the way that you have laid out the flooring plan. This plan will allow for better maintenance in the future as you will be able to isolate different areas for refinishing or re-coating. Flooring usually is run the long direction of the room because this is the traffic pattern. Walking along the boards instead of across them will lessen wear since the boards may change shape with changes of humidity and any cupping will present high edges that will be more susceptible to abrasion.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Second Floor Layout Direction
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:45 am 
Newbie Contributor

Hi Pete,
Thank you for your reply. I did read that if its a recent build, running against the joist is not an issue. I'll double check the thickness of the subfloor just to make sure.

I did not think about the wear pattern, good advise thx.

Profile E-mail