Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: See Any Exotic Trim In Your Travels?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sure Gary sees it in expensive Northern Cal? Is there any call for exotic trim you guys see out there? I'm specifically talking about baseboard, shoe, chair rail, casings, crown and the like in species like Santos, BC etc.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:24 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Ken, We just installed sanded and finished 1,000sf of ¾ x 3 Brazilian Walnut. The owner liked the wood so much he decided to have us install the staircase and any other trim we could supply made of this wood.

I bought 750sf of ¾ x 5 x 10 Brazilian Walnut planks and made the stair treads, skirt boards and other trim. He now wants more BW to make the stair rails and other trim around the house.

We are now starting to install, sand and finish 1350sf of ¾ x 5 Santos Mahogany on plywood on slab. They did ask about the availability of baseboards and shoe molding made of this wood.

Next month we will be installing 2400sf of prefinished 3/4 x 5 Brazilian Cherry and a custom built staircase. I will ask this customer if he would be intrested in Brazilian Cherry trim.

I think exotic wood would be used more for trim if it were readily available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:06 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Floor trims in the regular exotics are in stock in a couple of the distributors. Trims like nosings, T-molds, reducers, feature strips, registers, base and the like are in stock usually. Other decorative trim like chair rails and crown I don't get involved with and haven't seen anyone use those in exotics. Most of that kind of trim around here is done in paint grade and they use anything from MDF to pine to poplar. Kitchen cabinets are mostly done in maple, American cherry, alder, and American walnut and oak for the track homes.