Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Setting up floor to remove planks later.
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:53 pm 
New User

Hello. I have a floor to install and I am unsure of what will need to be modified at a later date. Top options are to install a rail with bartop on top of the planks or build a half wall. If I build a half wall, I will need to remove the first three rows of planks. I screwed in the first half row of planks. I intend to place the next rows and not nail down until row three. This way, I can unscrew the end row and remove the rows in the way of framing a wall. These planks will have little load and traffic. Will this work or should I nail in every row and rip them up later if needed. Please see below. Thank you.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Setting up floor to remove planks later.
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:22 am 
Prized Contributor

Laying the first rows without nailing will not harm the layout of the room. Your plan toadd a wall later would not require removal of flooring, but removing the planks and fastening the wall plate to the sub-floor is a common practice. You would be saving materials that could be used in another area, Since you are doing the work yourself you have the freedom to make a plan.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:56 am 
Prized Contributor

whats with the 2 x 4?

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:44 pm 
New User

Thank you for the quick replies. The 2x4 was going to be the base of the half wall framing. I bought everything to build the wall, then decided to do something a little more unique. I didn't nail the first two full rows and the first half row is screwed in. Figure I can slide them out and glue if needed.

I started nailing them all in but they would not stay straight. The screw row has 5 3" deck screws in it but it still shifted a little when nailing. Starting on row four, everything lined up perfectly. I had some tongue splitting but nothing major. Now I have to do the living room.

I am surprised that Home Depot no longer rents the 18GA Power Nail, or any 18GA cleat nailers at all. Seems like it is necessary for many types of wood. Luckily I was able to purchase one of their discontinued rentals.

Thought about laying them perpendicular to the dining planks. If the joists run the same direction, I will just go ahead with a parallel placement. Thing is that I have a 10' stair that's gonna end up with the 5" plank ends running down it if I don't change orientation. The wife thinks it would be awkward looking to lay perpendicular but I like the contrast.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:50 pm 
New User

Would like to do this on top of the floor and add a removable bar top to it. That way it can be just a railing or a breakfast bar.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:30 pm 
Prized Contributor

When the flooring runs toward the bar it will become a focal point of the room.

Profile E-mail