Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shading (Rug) on Hardwood Floors
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:04 pm 
New User

We are closing on a house next week and just did the last home pre-closing home visit.

The hardwood floors looked quite different with the rugs gone. :roll:

The hardwood is Brazillian Cherry (the owner bought it last year unfinished, got it installed/stained/finished). According to the owner, the stain/wood gets darker with age.

The problem is now that the hardwood areas where the area rug was placed is noticeably lighter (and duller) than other uncovered areas. The owner maintains that this area will get darker with time.

So, the question is:

1) will above correct itself (assuming we do not cover it with a rug) over time? i.e. no worries.

2) if not, what is best way to remedy this? refinish the wood? restain? refinish just some portion?

We are closing in in the coming week, and would like to know if we are looking at significant costs to fix this.

Any thoughts/input is appreciated.
Thanks,

Ozy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:48 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Relax.

Brazilian Cherry is one of the many "photosensitive" wood species. Meaning that they are altered by exposure to light so that where a chair, sofa or rug happen to reside will be lighter than areas exposed to light. Though it looks obvious now, it won't after a month or two, and after 6 or so months it will be completely blended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:13 pm 
New User

Thanks Macallan. Nice to hear above.

We do love the jatoba hardwood. In fact, that was the key selling point for us, so just wanted to hear it again from someone else.

Macallan wrote:
Relax.

Brazilian Cherry is one of the many "photosensitive" wood species. Meaning that they are altered by exposure to light so that where a chair, sofa or rug happen to reside will be lighter than areas exposed to light. Though it looks obvious now, it won't after a month or two, and after 6 or so months it will be completely blended.

Post subject: same here
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:14 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I was in a shock when after only 6 months I removed the rug in my room and you could see the outline of my rug. I have northern hard maple. I do say I like the darker richer look of the maple as it ages. I am not worried about it though, your floor will adjust with time if you leave the rugs off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:52 pm 
Prized Contributor

The dullness is from dirt sifting through the rug and micro scratching it, like 1000 grit sand paper.

Post subject: Re: Shading (Rug) on Hardwood Floors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:41 pm 
Prized Contributor

Since wood floors are photosensitive, you basically have a photograph of the shape of the rug. Even artificial light will have an image over time. Widow coverings will help to keep the effect away, but over time if the rug is not moved you will get a picture.
Sometimes a dull area from where the rug sat is the result of traffic. Stocking feet will polish the finish on a floor, making the area around an object shinier than under it. This effect will gradually go away, since this difference in shine is not the result of wear. If there is scratching from dust or grit sifting through the rug over time, then the other part of the floor will be worn since the area has been dirty with grit around the rug, unless a dirty rug was put on the finished floor.

Profile E-mail