Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shaw Hardwood Flooring?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:53 am 
New User

To begin, I'm beyond novice on this subject and a newbie on this forum...

I've gotten a handful of estimates and the one I trust most is recommending Shaw Hardwood (I'm not interested in laminate or engineered laminate). The price is reasonable and I've gotten some good referrals so I'm pretty confident in his abilities. But finding reviews of the flooring manufacturer has been near impossible.

The house is in Maryland and I'm getting about 1,000 sq ft (plus stairs). I'm considering some of the Shaw Oaks. I'm also looking at doing some vinyl flooring (probably also Shaw) for the kitchen and two bathrooms.

Does anyone have any thoughts, questions or suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

-- David.

Edit to add:
This installer is local and found him through Servicemagic.com; he has good reviews, seemed knowledgeable and was not a hard seller. The day before I got an estimate from Empire Today. Got a very slimy feeling from that affair. Luna flooring, another chain I believe, is coming today to provide a third estimate.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Shaw Hardwood Flooring?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:53 am 
Prized Contributor

Service Magic does a good job these days of screening ppl, they do extensive background checks. Service Magic actually turns down thousands of contractors every year. However, I have been up against a couple that didn't have a clue as to what is below grade on a bid.

On the wood, I prefer to stay away from carpet manufactures wood flooring and thats the advice I give my clients too. I hear their claims analyst's are not up to speed on wood issues.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:08 am 
New User

Thanks, 'tucson, for the input!

floormeintucson wrote:
Service Magic does a good job these days of screening ppl, they do extensive background checks. Service Magic actually turns down thousands of contractors every year. However, I have been up against a couple that didn't have a clue as to what is below grade on a bid.

On the wood, I prefer to stay anyway from carpet manufactures wood flooring and thats the advice I give my clients too. I hear their claims analyst's are not up to speed on wood issues.

I liked ServiceMagic's approach, but was disappointed that only one contractor was recommended. That said, he was prompt calling me back and polite. I told him I was closing that day and needed a bit of time to sort out the final details and he called with a friendly and non-pushy follow-up three days later. He demonstrated good knowledge and answered every question reasonably. He came on a Sunday, did his measurements and provided four referrals by recent customers (I've only been able to reach one thus far). He can do the whole house for about 10% less than Empire quoted for half the job (though when I canceled their high pressure sale they offered to slice another 25% off their offer).

That said, my only concern is what you pointed out: Shaw manufactures woods, laminates, engineered laminates, carpets, and vinyl. I've never had to do flooring so I'm flustered to see how few substantial reviews are available. This flooring company, Pars Floors in Maryland, seems really focused on Shaw but also recommends Mohawk. I've read some decent but non-detailed positives towards Mullican, but he doesn't offer that.

I'm leaning towards the Shaw, but flipping coins isn't exactly a tried-and-true method of making this kind of decision :lol: Or is it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:18 am 
Prized Contributor

I'd definetly stay away from high pressure ppl, no matter the lower cost.

Edit:On the wood, I prefer to stay [away] from carpet manufactures wood flooring/

How about Anderson? I take it your looking for a prefinished?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:37 am 
New User

floormeintucson wrote:
I'd definetly stay away from high pressure ppl, no matter the lower cost.

Edit:On the wood, I prefer to stay [away] from carpet manufactures wood flooring/

How about Anderson? I take it your looking for a prefinished?

Yep, prefinished. If I read right, Anderson is owned by Shaw (link: http://www.andersonfloors.com/news/pr091407.aspx), so that should be an option at Pars. I have no clue how the two differ in quality, though. The way things are, could be one competitor buying another or one company buying another to add a lower tier or higher tier product.

I agree re: pressure. And the fact that they were charging so much more on top added to my bewilderment. Funny aside: I called to cancel today partly because even though they were scheduled to come later this week (their "midweek is slow" installation sale) their installation team was on its way this morning. They couldn't get the sale closed fast enough! :roll: When they asked why I changed my mind I told them that upon reviewing my finances I couldn't afford it. They stopped pushing me then. Anyhow...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:39 am 
Prized Contributor

I hate to see old quality companies getting gobbled up like that. sigh

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:40 pm 
Valued Contributor

I would stay away from Shaw wood. they don't manufacture their own wood but buy from all different mills mostly over seas. If you are looking for a good product for short money try Columbia or Somerset.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:38 am 
Prized Contributor

I would seriously give Muskoka a good look over Shaw, any day.