Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shedding
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:29 pm 
New User

I'm recoating my new oak kitchen floor due to poor workmanship by my flooring guy. He used a T bar, but after three coats there were sanding marks, lumps, grit, etc. I cut in the edges with 220 and abraded it with a maroon pad, cleaned it thoroughly, then applied Glitsa 500 Semi Gloss oil poly with a Purdy White Dove roller. The roller shed like crazy. Lots of curly 3/4" fibers all over the place. I used the roller right out of the package, but I've heard there are some ways, like taping it before use, to reduce shedding. So today I bought a Purdy Ultra Finish microfiber roller for my next coat. Anybody know this roller? Looks like it rated pretty good in a comparison I read. Ideas? I'm hoping, well actually my wife is hoping, that this next coat will be the last.

Post subject: Re: Shedding
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:57 pm 
Valued Contributor

Five coats will take some time to cure. Be extra careful for the next three weeks so the finish has a chance to cure. It cures from the top down.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:01 pm 
New User

Pete A. wrote:
Five coats will take some time to cure. Be extra careful for the next three weeks so the finish has a chance to cure. It cures from the top down.

I cut it back a lot, and the first two coats were put on several weeks ago. It will end up being about the equivalent of three coats thick when I'm done. What do you think about the Purdy Ultra Finish microfiber roller?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:45 am 
New User

Good news, the microfiber roller doesn't look like it shed. I taped it first, and there were some fuzzies at the ends of the roller. After taping it I vacuumed it also. Finish looks good. I think the T bar may be a better way to apply finish, but for a novice like myself, the roller is easier.