Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: shiny spots on floor, rubber mallet suspected.....
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:29 pm 
New User

I had my wood floors installed about a year ago. They are Appalachian hermosa/briar engineered wood. The installers did a basic glue down installation.

Here's my problem- at random spots over a good number of places, (about 600sq was installed), I can see "shiny spots" on the floor. The floor itself is beautiful, and shiny in its own right, but these spots have more of a glossy look to them. They are actually glossier/shinier than the true finish of the floor. They are very noticable when ceiling lights hit them-extremely distracting. Instead of looking at the finished room and saying - wow, this room is nice, you say -what's that stuff on the floor?-

The blemishes range from about palmsize to slightly smaller. They are usually close to the edges of the boards. At first I thought it was glue residue, but they cleaned it up pretty good with mineral spirits.
Then I thought it might be where they were resting their palms-maybe they were leaning on it for a while and it was body oil or something.

They were using rubber mallets and hitting the surface of the wood at an angle, trying to "grab" the board with each hit, pushing it into place. They were probably rubbing on something from the hammer, or worse, rubbing off someting from the board.

I happen to find my installation guide to the floors the other day (i never looked at it because someone else was installing). It says to never use a rubber mallet to hit the floors. I thought -great-. Is that was this is? I've tried using mineral spirits to clean them, but nothing helps. It's as if some sort of finish has actually come off.

Is there any hope?? I paid a pretty penny for these floors, and yes, they are beautiful. But those spots are driving me crazy!!!

please help :(

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:22 pm 
Valued Contributor

Maybe glue spots?

Could be scuff/burn, but it may be furniture moving or glue or???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:43 am 
New User

I don't think it's glue, because mineral spirits did nothing for it. Trust me, I used plenty and scrubbed VERY well :? I'm not sure what to think at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:56 am 
Valued Contributor

at this point: Live with it or re-finish the floor. Screen and re-coat? Not expensive to do and no way to determine if the floor was damaged by the installer. The floor is a year old and you could be guilty of the damage as easily as anybody else.