Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shot Blasting
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:14 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Are any of you contractors Shot Blasting your slabs? Our Bostik rep is telling us we need to shot blast our Katrina slabs (slabs that have been exposed to salt water) for warranty purposes when using their products on these slabs.
I called all the rental stores in my area and they had no idea what I was talking about. None of the floor supply stores have them to rent or buy so I am asking if any of you guys have any experience with shot blasting.
I know there are company’s that specialize in this but they are far away from me and way too expensive.
Any help will be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:12 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

When I was a young man, I took a summer job for a striping contractor. You know, the guys that paint the stripes for parking lots and roads. One of my jobs was sand blasting off old paint, a miserable job. I cannot imagine shot blasting would be much better. What I do not understand is why scouring the slabs heavily would not achieve the same effect. I saw at my rental yard those 16" plates that fit a buffer with the carborendum (sp?) cutters for heavily scraping/striping/scouring concrete. Seems to me that those should achieve the same results as shot blasting. But what do I know? Isn't there a way of neutralizing the effects of the salt water besides shot blasting? Hmmm? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:49 am 
Prized Contributor

Ask about using a concrete grinder or scarifier instead Buddy. I fail to see the reasoning here.

Are things getting any better for you guys, is there a light at the end of the tunnel yet?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:14 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Thanks guys, I also think shot blasting is overkill. I haven’t found anyone using this method so I will talk to the rep about this and see if he will accept any of the methods you have mentioned.
And Jerry, Conditions are improving here every day thanks to many volunteers from all over the country. Many people spend their vacation time and money here helping any way they can.

We also have many flooring contractors here from all over the country. Some of these contractors are from dry climates and are learning the hard way about wood flooring in a very damp climate. We see a few failed installed jobs but most of the failed jobs we see are sand and finish problems usually caused from finish or stain not having enough dry time between coats in this moist environment.

Thanks for the info,
Buddy