Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Should I give up on engineered HW?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:09 pm 
New User

Hello all. After reading so many posts with so many problems, I kind of feel like I should just forget about it! It sounds like there are just a million ways it can go wrong and that the companies often don't live up to their warranties. I have a concrete slab so engineered is my only option. I'm so discouraged.

Does it make a difference to buy from a big box store like Lowes or Home Depot?

I can't afford more than at total of $5000 installed for $750 sq feet. Do I wait or a big sale?

I want this because I have pets and because I will be renting out the house in about 18 months. The current carpet is just too gross to leave.

Thanks. DoIBuy

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Should I give up on engineered HW?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:13 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
After reading so many posts with so many problems

There is an old saying that goes something like this...bad experiences will be shared far more than good experiences. It's the good ones we rarely hear about and they definitely outnumber the bad by a wide margin.

Lowes or Home Depot? Many do but will not see the options you can find from a full service dealer. There's also not that real personal service, but rather it goes down a line of who's involved in the project. For them they have a store salesman, then you have the national installation chain that does the work. Then there's the chain installation manager and finally the actual installer. Did I miss any more hands? As you can imagine, more people involved can translate into miscommunication and problems.

When warranty issues are raised, nine times out of ten it often has something to do with failure to pay attention in how to properly install a product or high consumer expectations(usually scratching dents etc) and not the product itself.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:32 am 
Prized Contributor

if it were me id slap a nice looking laminate in there and forget about it. Especially if you are going to rent. You could go with an engineered but if your going to be renting it out the laminate will stand up to a ton of abuse and you might actually have some money left over to fix the other stuff the renters will destroy.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:52 pm 
Prized Contributor

Amazingly enough Shaw has an awesome finish on their engineered. I'd almost call it scratch proof. I've seen laminates scratch easier. Plus, laminates edge swell with minimal mopping, chips easy if things are dropped on it. But planks are easy to replace.

Go find yourself a qualified installer on Craigslist and buy wood from Prosource, or maybe the laminate at Costco (which is made by Mohawk/Quickstep) shhhhhh, dont tell everyone.

What ever you do buy extra for repairs.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:36 pm 
New User

Thanks so much. The cheap wood I posted about before turns out to actually be engineered HW a leftover discontinued from Sam's any thoughts? It's only 7/16 but for less than a dollar a sq foot. Or is that being penny wise and pound foolish, especially with the install cost?

In my market it can't be laminate... especially if I decide to sell...just the facts...

I will definitely see if I can find Shaw at an affordable price! Any hints on particular lines?

MANY thanks!

DoIbuy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:39 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Solid hardwood on slab. 3/4 plywood, plus 3/4 site finished hardwood. Is the best option.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Solid hardwood on slab. 3/4 plywood, plus 3/4 site finished hardwood. Is the best option.

I would have said the same before I saw unfinished engineered hardwoods, but that's a bit off the subject of this thread. I'm guessing many northern guys may not know what's out there thesedays.

3/4" engineered hardwood flooring on concrete

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail