Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sick to my stomack. Let out to dry...
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:37 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I need help as soon as possible. I have several problems with the floor and with the company, which provided the service. I have a four year old 1st grade common oak floor installed on the plywood on the first floor of the house. We had a leak problem that was not immediately diagnosed and dealt with, as a result water got under the subfloor and 300+ sq. feet of the floor got cupped. Contractors removed everything and let the concrete to dry for 7 days. They ordered the new wood and let it sit for 2 days. After they installed it I noticed that the new area doesn’t match the original floor as there were a lot of gray boards and also quite a few black wide and long marks on some of the boards. It looked like a calico cat! The lumber guy, who sold the wood, without a delay came to look at the floors didn't say anything but provided the free wood to replace the bad boards. He talked to my guy and he agreed to remove the bad boards (I had to pay him again). It was around 30% of the new floor total. So what was wrong with the wood??? Was it misgraded??? Well, when they were removing them they cut two times lengthwise of each board PLUS while they were doing it they also cut the plywood!!! DEEP!!!

Okay here is my first problem after the main problem I had earlier (the calico cat effect): my floor, where the guys did repair, started to cup 2-3 weeks later it has been installed. I waited for three more weeks to see if cupping would get better or worse. It got worse and got further. I called the guy to come and look, maybe check the moister level. He said he would come in three weeks. Well, I didn’t want to wait so I called the other company to come and check the moister. I remember for sure that at the concrete level in the area, where the original leak was bad or maybe even initiated, the moister was 17%, three boards further it was 12%. The new guy told me that it might dry out in 3 months and then he will come and re-sand the floor. Well, the original guy who did the job, didn’t come, he said he forgot about us. He promised to come a week later. Well, week later he said he is not coming at all and there is nothing he can do about and it is not his fault. He didn’t even want to come and see if it is his problem or not!!! The thing is, it is not only cupping where the water was, but also everywhere else where it wasn’t! Remember, there were a lot of the boards removed from the area where he installed the new wood, cutting deeply through the plywood. Do you think one of the reasons it got cupped because of it? Didn’t the concrete dried out when they put the new wood? What I can do about it?

The second problem:
After they put the last coat, and it dried, I wanted to see the floor. In the corners of rooms, in the narrow 3-4 feet spaces and also closets I could see that floor was really crimped/wavy with lots of big and deep dents or hand sand machine marks. That was shocking. The guy who checked my moister said that their job is not acceptable. I have to pay $1000 to fix that. The original guy, who did the job, said that nobody is perfect. What a bull!!! I am just looking for the Good job. The guy didn’t even want to come and look at it. My neighbor later did her floors and they look like new not even one dent. I wish I hired her master. What I can do about it? How to hire another company to not make my floors worse.

Thank you deeply for your contributed time and wisdom on my miserable floor.

Kate :?

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:22 pm 
Prized Contributor

Sounds like a case of getting an independent non-biased wood flooring inspector ASAP, because they are the only one that is going to give you a straight up answer. I pretty sure you can find a wood inspector on the NWFA website. People get my name from there, and I have not been able to find it, yet. But they do. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:04 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Depending on which state you live in, your state may have a Contractor's License Board, which handles consumer complaints against shoddy work. In my state, California, they will handle the entire issue and you may have a claim against the contractor's bonding company. However, if your state has no licensing requirements or you hired the cheapest guy with no license, you will need to pursue any claim against him in the local court system. Either way, as Perry said, you will need an independant inspector. But in California, the state will provide one at no cost to the consumer if you're filing a complaint against a licensed contractor. Sorry to hear about misfortune with that guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:21 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Thank you gentlemen very much. Your answers mean so much to me. It sounds to me like I am heading in the right direction. I live in a quite expensive house, I won’t hire someone without insurance or/and license. The company belongs to BBB. Prior to that I have had only good experiences with BBB companies. I told the guy on the phone that I am going to write a complaint to BBB. He hang up on me! Nevertheless, I will meet with the wood floor inspector and file a complaint depending on what he will suggest. I have never have been treated in my life like this. I still can't beleive that the guy from BBB can and does treat people like this, after he has done a poor job like mine.

Best of all,

Kate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:44 pm 
Newbie Contributor

as far as the BBB goes I dont think its to hard to get listed with them, And as long as he doesnt have to many complaints he will still be listed.

Seven Days dry time for wet concrete seems a little short. Did they put fans in or dehumidifiers?

I dont think deep cuts in the ply would affect the install . But is sounds to me liek the put in #2 common oak with your number one. And #2 has some really interesting patterns and character in it.

Hope everything turns out well for you.

acaflooring@gmail.net
Boise,Idaho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:15 am 
Prized Contributor

The BBB is just a marketing gimmick!!!! They do nothing and have no clout to make things happen. All they do is direct you back to the owner of the business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:15 am 
Newbie Contributor

......Thanks you guys. Steve, they didn't run a thing. I did it my self with couple heating fans. These guys are penniless. To sue them I will only waste my money even in small claims court, or maybe not; possibly I will do just for the principle to teach this guy and save others from their ghastly service. At that time only this company was available to come right away and fix my floor. He ordered exactly the grade we needed, the grade was engraved on the back of the boards. It just was graded wrong! When I saw the raw gray boards with black strikes on them, I felt that it isn't right. My husband called the guy and was reassured that this was a good wood. Well, it turned out a mess. The guy had to match the existing floor! That's why he was hired. And that's what we talked about in the beginning. I-d-i-o-t. PERIOD.

.......Let me tell you the episode that makes me cry, laugh and wonder that such idiots even exist. I had a semi-gloss on my floors, they had to re-sand and put finish everywhere but living room. We discussed this earlier and agreed it was going to be semi-gloss as it had to match the rest of the floor. Well, his partner comes to test the finish on the new area because I wasn’t sure what to put to match better the old area: golden oak or neutral as it was on my floor. He brings golden oak only! When he tested it, I asked, “Was it semi-gloss?” He answered that it was satin. I was in shock once again. I called the owner and asked him again is it true he wants to put satin. He said that they always put satin as it better for the traffic areas. What the <beep> ??? I said I want semi-gloss only!!! Tell me, please, is this guy really that dumb or/and he got away with this for a long time and no one except me have/had balls to fight this guy? Please, understand me I would fire him earlier, but I have very young toddlers and they were confined in the small area for 4 weeks with no help in sight. I couldn’t take it anymore.

.....Thanks again for the kind support,

....Best regards to all,

Kate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:11 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Im sorry for your pain, I always get a sad feeling inside when someone tells a nightmare story about flooring because I know it doesnt have to be that way.

And I know that Hindsight is 20/20.

The only advice I might give is in the future ask for referrences and maybe refferals from freinds that had work done.

Not always foolproof but a step better then out of the phone book.

acaflooring@gmail.net
Boise,Idaho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:57 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks Steven, nice to hear some empathy with sympathy along :wink:

I always try to find the best of the best. This time I just didn’t know anyone who had done woodwork in their house. We were in the rash to fix the floor. We only lived in this state 4 years. I hope I will remember the lesson I have learnt for long as I live :idea: .

I have a head of the city wood floor association coming this week. I will let you know, if interested, what is going on.

I wanted ask you guys, how many of you have a moister control instrument? I have called a dozen companies and only few have it.

Have a productive week,

Kate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:54 pm 
Prized Contributor

Hand held high, (jestering it and yelling ooh, ooh, ooh, I do, I do!!)

I have the complete Tramex meter kit. It was pricey, but well worth every penny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:39 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I believe you, Floorguy, you own it, it is pricey and well worth it :wink: . Is it sounds normal for you that the Head of Wood Flooring Association who is an inspector and the floor guy himself for 23 years wouldn’t have one :?: He works mostly in upscale areas. He sounds like an intelligent fella.

Regards....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:03 am 
Prized Contributor

Most of my work is tile and even I own and use a meter. I have the Delmhorst 2100. This is a common problem where I live too.

The inspector you mention that does not own a meter, he just thinks he's an inspector. You can be lucky and get by installing floors without a meter, but no way can a proper inspection be performed without it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:41 am 
Prized Contributor

Lady_In_Trouble2 wrote:
Does it sound normal for you that the Head of Wood Flooring Association who is an inspector....

Someone was lying to you!!! He is the head of the BS association.
A wood inspector, without a moisture meter. I have some Ocean front property in Arizona, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:58 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Quote:
Is it sounds normal for you that the Head of Wood Flooring Association who is an inspector and the floor guy himself for 23 years wouldn’t have one

If you are refering to the National Wood Flooring Association, or NWFA, there is NO position in that organization called "the head". They have a president, vice president, secretary, etc. Senior Technical Advisor and so on. How anyone could inspect flooring without a moisture meter is beyond me? I'm with my fellow installers on this one as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:25 am 
Newbie Contributor

That's right guys I found it BS too. I also think I need to provide some more details on this. He is the "Head" of my city wood flooring association. Does it make sense? HE also said that if any problems should occur with companies that belong to BBB he was the guy they call to investigate the problem. I hope I am clear. I tried to find an inspector through the NWFA site. Is there a way to find one without becoming their member? I thought that site is all about people who is in wood floor business (may I call it like that). I just strongly feel I will step and roll in much more BS before I give up or win this case. What doesn't kill you make you stronger, RIGHT???

Thanks again, and I am deeply appreciated for any light provided on this nightmare...