Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: slab moisture reading
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:43 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Gary, Ray, Marco, et al:
Just a side question: Lately (since I moved to Arizona) there's so much work here that people are calling me to install as well as finish. I'm an expert in finishing, but I have alot to learn about installation I have the NWFA Manual, I have a feel for wood, and I am able to think(duh!). Anyhow, I enjoy thinking a project through and customizing a recipe for success with the customer.
Question is: When measuring the moisture of a slab, can moisture meters (which kind/brands?) replace a calcium chloride test?
Thanks in advance.
Charlie

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:01 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Charlie,

As I see it, tesing a slab for moisture is necessary but is not considered foolproof. A calcium cloride test tells you how many lbs. (gal.) of water (moisture vapor) that slab emmitted in a 24 hr period. However, it is good only for that exact spot and for that period of time. Same with moisture meters like Tramex. They will tell you the MC of the concrete at that time and at that location. What about 6 months from now, in the rainy season? Some installers have taking to recommending vapor barriers regardless of the results of moisture tests. Same with some manufacterers who recommend installing over a vinyl vapor barrier. One needs to cover their butt when installing over concrete. Personally, I'd have a waiver of responsibility for the client who didn't want to pay for a vapor barrier. With Taylor's, Bostick's and Franklin's newer moisture barrier systems, it is much easier to provide a secure installation. This is what I'd sell now when I do direct glue downs to slabs. Hope that was helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:29 am 
Worthy Contributor

Gary:
Thanks for the input.

I've always liked the idea of making a "blanket" procedure to cover all the contingencies. Surely, it can't cost the customer that much more to do it right! From what I'm seeing, my customers WILL pay more IF they understand from me what more they're getting for their money. Example: A competitor bidded a job with pre-finished for $5,600.00. I showed quality 3/4 solid plank flooring with a customized penetrating/polyurethane finish. My bid came in at $7,600.00. They went with me because I explained everything that I was doing. They chose quality.

Guess I got off track.

Appreciate it.
Charlie

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:01 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Charles,
I think you and your customers will be surprised at how expensive these vapor barriers are, but they are worth it for the reasons described.
Just a reminder not to mix systems though. When it all goes wrong you want to drop all in one person's lap. You don't want to be between 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:04 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

By the way...........weren't you selling off all your equipment a while back because you were hanging it up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:01 am 
Worthy Contributor

Andrew:
Wow! What a memory!
Actually, I sold off all my gymnasium floor refinishing equipment. And I sold off a couple of Cherryhill machines (super B, etc.) I was simplifying for my move out here to AZ. Now, I'm getting alot of high-end work. Alot more residential work here than in western PA.
I was going to do gymnasiums out here, but the market is full of companies who exploit the Mexican alien situation that the money is half of what it was back east. I don't want to be a part of exploiting ANY race. Not a good thing!
Where are you at, by the way?
Charlie

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:45 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Charlie,

Welcome to the world of "High End"!
It can be very rewarding, but more than a little frustrating.

Glad to hear the industry still enjoys your knowledge and experience.

By the way, I'm in the Gulf Islands of British Columbia (Canada's Juan De Fucas).