Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Small bubbles at seams
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:30 am 
New User

I recently refinished my floors (about 2 months ago). I sanded with 3 grits (40, 80, an 100), stained, and applied 3 coats of polyurethane. I let the poly coats dry for 10 hours between applications and I lightly sanded between coats.

The floors look great, but I'm getting some polyurethane bubbles coming up from the cracks between the boards. They're easy to remove (a fingernail will take care of thsm), but they look bad and feel rough on feet.

Are these normal? After I scrape them away, they reappear after a short while. Will they stop?

Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:18 pm 
Prized Contributor

Stain not dry?

Too thick of finish coats?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:06 am 
Worthy Contributor

Yes they eventually will dry and yes the will eventually stop reappearing. Stain has a habbit of practically doubling the cure time for OMP finish. And summer months can even lengthen that cure time as well. Patience wins the day here. Wait till those beads are very dry and hard a get 'em with the edge of a credit card or fingernail. If you get 'em while there is still liquid inside you could smear a tiny bit of finish out on the floor. Not a huge issue but an issue still the same ... by chance do you notice this more on areas in direct sunlight? Lots of shrink and swell on a daily basis in those spots ... keep your blinds closed as a habbit for the first 30-60 days during cure time to help.

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:28 am 
New User

William,

Thanks for your response. Ironically, I was just noticing a bunch of the bubbles where the sun was striking my front room which prompted me to check for replies to my post.

They do scrape away easily,so I'll be sure to exercise patience. It's good to know that they will eventually stop appearing.

Thank you again for helping quell my anxiety about this project an for knowing what to expect when I do the upstairs floors later this summer.

Marc