Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Small gluedown project
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:48 pm 
New User

I am attempting to do a rectangular open ended room over a concrete slab. I have ground down the humps, used leveling cement in the hollows, checked moisture content, removed the baseboards, and repainted the room. I have vacuumed the floor three times and will vacuum again before gluing. I will be laying Forest Accents City Plank 1/2" flooring that has been stacked in my living room for two weeks to acclimate and will use Bostick's Best. Since it is a small project, I counted all the pieces of flooring, made 1/10 scale models of art paper and 'dry layed' the pieces so as to maximize the use of the few pieces longer than two feet and insure the joints don't line up in adjacent rows. I have tried to read all the info in Ken's database and reviewed the forums.

What are the respective advantages of 'wet lay' vs. 'walk on (letting the glue tack first)'?

Will flooding the glue bucket with an argon-carbon dioxide gas mixture before resealing between work periods reduce 'clumping of the adhesive in the bucket?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:55 am 
Site Admin

Al:

With Bostiks it's usually install right away once the adhesive is spread. It seems to have a better transfer rate(more glue adhered) from adhesive to board. Haven't yet heard of any method to keep the glue bucket from skimming over or clumping.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:19 pm 
Worthy Contributor

The glue films over and clumps with air contact. You can lay a layer of plastic on the surface which will slow it down. You can add a layer of water over the plastic too. I generally just turn the closed/sealed bucket upside down so the clumps are on the bottom and expect to lose some. You cannot keep it for long(months) once opened.
It will be messy.

www.theoakfloorsofmarco.com